Could someone find a marriage for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could someone find a marriage for me?

I am trying to find a marriage for William Bourne and Emma Eglesfield or Petty. I am having a very hard time with this couple. They were married around 1860 in Middlesex.

Hi Debbie

I have had a look and can't see a marriage for those names. How do you know they were married in Middlesex?
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

The census says they were born in Bethnel Green, Middlesex, and their children were born there.

Comment

Oh ok, i'm still looking but nothing is jumping out
        Vikki -
        Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Why do you think Emma's name might be Eglesfield or Petty.

Can you give us the earliest census reference where you have found them as a married couple?
          Elaine

Comment

1881 census. Their daughter Nellie names her parents as William Bourne and Emma Egglesfield, but I found a Emma Bourne with her mother Sarah Petty in a 1181 census with her husband William. I'm not sure if they are the same people or not. I can't even find a birth for Nellie who was born in 1882

Comment

Is this the right family in 1881
              RG11; Piece: 429; Folio: 108; Page: 36
              Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk

and 1871 (mistranscribed)
              RG10; Piece: 493; Folio: 94; Page: 90
              - Ancestry.co.uk

- possibly not because I cannot see a daughter Nellie!
              Elaine

Comment

Yes that is the right family. I looked and looked in the 1871 and couldn't find them. Thanks. So now I'm sure I'm not looking for Petty.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                  1881 census. Their daughter Nellie names her parents as William Bourne and Emma Egglesfield, but I found a Emma Bourne with her mother Sarah Petty in a 1181 census with her husband William. I'm not sure if they are the same people or not. I can't even find a birth for Nellie who was born in 1882
                  Where does Nellie give her parents names as William Bourne and Emma Egglesfield?
                  Elaine

Comment

she was married in Ontario Canada in 1904. It's on the marriage certificate. She married Fred Ray,though I can't find her in the 1891 england census, or her immigration which she has as 1885, which means she came to Canada when she was 3.
                    Last edited by Debbie; 04-06-09, 17:31.

Comment

Are you sure you have the right family - this appears to be the same family in 1891

RG11; Piece: 429; Folio: 108; Page: 36;
                      - Ancestry.co.uk
                      Elaine

Comment

and 1901 still in the UK

RG13; Piece: 285; Folio: 74; Page: 63.
                        - Ancestry.co.uk
                        Elaine

Comment

It's the same family that I have, I'm so confused.

Comment

Does she always use the name Nellie?

Have you any documented evidence of her place of birth?
                            Elaine

Comment

No I don't have any documents. I've been trying to find her in the 1911 Canadian census but no luck yet

Comment

OK - just to clarify - are you saying NellieĀ“s parents were born in Bethnal Green because you felt that the William/Emma family you have found in the census was the right one?

Not sure what shows up on Canadian marriage certificates - does it give any more info about her father, for example occupation? Was he a witness?
                                Elaine

Comment

I looked up Canadian births, and she is listed as Nellie Bourne as mother, so I guess she used Nellie

Comment

When looking for William and Emma, these were the only ones that seemed to fit. If I have the right family, William had died by the 1891 census. In the canadian 1901 census she was living with her uncle Charles Egglesfield. I wasn't able to find William or Emma in the 41, 51, or 61 census, so now I'm more confused than ever

Comment

Does the 1901 Canadian census give her place of birth?
                                      Does it say when and where Charles Egglesfield was born or when he went to Canada?
                                      Elaine

Comment

it says she was born in London. Charles came to Canada in 1874 or5

Comment

Working...
                                        X