Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stacey (Vickers/Oates) Family tree

Hello all,

After the recent death of my father, I realised that I know very little about his family and that of my mothers, I have started to document a family tree and would like to ask for your help in getting started, I have never done this before and it all seems quite bewildering on where to start. the info I have so far is:

Raymond Desmond Stacey (My Father) Born 11/09/1938 in the East Harting area. Died 01/05/2009 in Ilfracombe N. Devon
    Arthur George Stacey (Grandad) (Farmer) no D.O.B. but died before I was born
    Lillian Maude Vickers (Granmother) (Housewife) no D.O.B. but died before I was born

Name removed as possible living person (My Mother) Born 17/10/1951 in Birmingham
    Garfield Oates (Grandad) no D.O.B. but died before I was born
    Alice Parkes (Grandmother) no D.O.B. but died before I was born

I also have most of the info on my uncles on my mothers side and one on my father side, I will be contacting them shortly to flesh out the info I already have.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated

Thankyou
    Carl Stacey
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 03-06-09, 21:50. Reason: possible living person name removed.

Hi Carl

Welcome to the site and good luck with your research

As you know the names of your grandparents I would suggest getting their marriage certificate from the GRO, this will give you their ages when they married and also their fathers names and occupations.

Once you have this information you can search for a birth certificate for both you grandmother and grandfather, which can also be ordered from the GRO.

The earliest census available is the 1911, if both your grandparents were born before then you may find them on there with their families.

We have a great reference library on this site called the Wiki that has loads of information and links to helpful sites

Good luck
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Thanks Vikki, your a star ;)

will get right on it

Carl

Comment

This is the link for the GRO
        General Register Office (GRO) - Official information on births, marriages and deaths

if you have the reference number birth marriage and death certificates will cost £7

Comment

Hi Carl

I'm just having a look for you for the marriage of your grandparents, do you have any idea when they married?

Also found your fathers birth registration and it is showing his mothers maiden name as Bickers !!!!
          If you wanted to order his birth certificate you will need this information

Raymond D Stacey
          Mothers Maiden Name (MMN) Bickers
          OCT/NOV/DEC 1938
          District - Midhurst
          Vol - 2b
          Pg - 516
          Vikki -

Comment

Sep 1931, Oates Garfield /Parkes Alice, Birmingham S. 6d 884

Here's one of the marriages which will give you their father's names.

Comment

Here are the details of the Stacey/Bickers marriage

Lilian M Bickers m Arthur G Stacey
              1921 Jul/Aug/Sep
              District - Norwich
              County - Norfolk
              Vol - 4b
              Pg - 261
              Vikki -

Comment

Hi Carl and welcome to Familytreeforum

Your first post has been edited as we do not allow the names of anyone still alive to be posted on site.
                Barbara

Comment

Not much of a help, but i race with someone called Stacy Vickers! weird co-incidence!
                  Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

WOW, thankyou so much, will get the Vickers/Bickers name confirmed with my Aunt asap, and will also order the certificates, thanks again you guys are great!

Carl

Comment

Just to give you an update :-) got the certificates throught he post, very helpful and even more helpfull was finding a cousin-in-law that also has an interest in the family tree, I never even knew she existed! she sent me lots of names and dates and even a couple of photos!. Thanks again for all your invaluable help.

Now a plea for more help :-)

#1 My family are not very close and some members do not talk to other members.. I would like to contact some of these and gleen any info they have, but am not sure how to broach the subject.. have any other members had this problem, it seems absurd as a family tree can be enjoyed and used by all, but just the mention of family to some makes them lose interest.. any tips

#2 My Aunt on my mothers side (Oates) said that she was told when she was a child that the arctic explorer Capt. Oates (who accompanied Capt. Scott) was a distant uncle, as he is a known personage, is it relatively easy to gain info on descendants to verify this? I know that my Great Grandad (Jack Oates, Iron Worker) was born in Cornwall and have many relatives there.

Thanks again for your help
                      Last edited by Carl Stacey; 17-06-09, 11:10.

Comment

you will need the census to deal with capt oates and any rellies of his and yours.

as for contacting the cousins, etc. it can be tricky, but if you just send a letter inquiring about them and their health, asking them if they would like to talk about the family tree, you should get a reply at least. unfortunately, the only way to find out if family will help out or talk to you, is to to actually give it a go.

Comment

Working...
                        X