Kirkbys - Thurgoland Yorkshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kirkbys - Thurgoland Yorkshire

I have (on my hubbys side) a Samuel Kirkby, listed in the 1841 census.
    He was aged 77 and was the toll bar keeper for Thurgoland. It states that he was born in Yorkshire.
    He was married to Tabitha Midens... aged 60 in 1841 born in Liverpool.
    See below.

1841 Census
    Class: HO107; Piece 1325; Book: 14; Civil Parish: Silkstone; County: Yorkshire; Enumeration District: 2; Folio: 23; Page: 13;

Can anyone trace him pre 1841, we are looking to find whereabouts he was born and any more information on him.
    We have drawn a blank with the Silkstone Genealogy Society who did a trace for Samuel Kirkby but didn't find him.
    Can't seem to find anything on the IGI??
    Can anyone help?

Thanks

You can look on the IGI yourself on www.familysearch.org

have you thought of looking for variations like Kirby? Or misreadings like Rirkby?
    Or looking for all other Kirkbys from Yorkshire on census who are the right age to be siblings and then seeing where that gets you?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I suppose he wasn't still alive in 1851 (which would give you his birthplace)?

Comment

There is a death reg for a Samuel Kirby : 1st Qtr 1845 Bridlington 23/16.
        I couldnt find any other detail.
        Last edited by AlanC; 03-06-09, 18:47. Reason: correction

Comment

I should think this is the marriage (IGI, extracted entry):

Samuel Kirkby
          Male

Event(s):

Marriages:
          Spouse: Tabitha Maiden
          Marriage: 24 JUL 1804 St Annes, Liverpool, Lancashire, England

I've checked Pallot's marriages and baptisms, BIVRI ditto, and Ancestry parish and probate records, but I can't see a baptism for Samuel. There are a few Samuel Kirkbys baptised in the Sheffield area, but all pre-1740.

Comment

I see there are a couple of Presbyterian baptisms in Sheffield on the IGI at around the right time.

Comment

I had to go back and check my geography, is there anything for Penistone? As that and Barnsley, Thurgoland, Sheffield etc, are all close together. I'm surprised about Brid' as that is quite away away....

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Thats definitely the marriage, Mary, as Tabitha is listed in 1851.

It does seem odd that Samuel was born in Yorkshire and Tabitha was from Liverpool - as you say, Barbara it is a fair distance!

Just wish I could find a bit more on Samuel!

Hi Little Nell, thanks for the IGI link, but unfortunately, I couldn't find anything of the right age/era for Samuel.
                If anyone has more ideas of where we could try... keep them coming!

Thanks again

Tracy

Comment

Don't forget that ages were rounded to the nearest 5 years in 1841, and anyway, people didn't necessarily give their ages very accurately. So I wouldn't necessarily discount the baptisms on the IGI.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                    Does anyone know where I can get this death cert from? Which area does Bridlington come under?
                    Thanks

Comment

Bridlington is in east yorkshire, the old east riding...Back then it must have been the old town which was just away from the coast.

Comment

Hi Barbara

Thanks for that... but think that Samuel wasn't our man!

Have found a Samuel KIRKBY death DEC Q 1848 from the Wortley district, which covers Thurgoland!!:D

So, I guess if we get that cert, look at church burial records (providing we can find the right church) and maybe find a newspaper orbituary... we might just find out where Samuel originated from!!

Thanks again.

Tracy

Comment

you'll be very lucky if you do!! good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                            Originally posted by castanea1985 View Post
                            Does anyone know where I can get this death cert from? Which area does Bridlington come under?
                            Thanks
                            You order it from the General Register Office (GRO), using the information Alan has given you. The date is Jan-Feb-Mar quarter 1845. Registration District is Bridlington. Volume 23 page 16. It will cost you 7 pounds and will be posted anywhere in the world.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                            X