What was a white smith?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was a white smith?

Got a question for you, the census reference is HO1071232 15 to double check. What did a white smith do, I know what a black smith did and are they related?

A whitesmith is a person who works with "white" or light-colored metals such as tin and pewter.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Yes related. Both operated smithies, ie heated and shaped metal but whitesmiths worked with white metal which I think would be tin, silver etc (though come to think of it tinsmiths and silversmiths also existed!)
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

From our very own Wiki

Whitesmith Person who works with white or light coloured metals such as tin. Can also refer to a person who finishes other metal objects.

Blacksmith Worked (still does) iron with forge and hammer

so yes they are related trades
        Barbara

Comment

So assuming William Key, (Charlotte's father) is an ancestor of mine, where would they have come from. I associate tin mining with Cornwall and I do have relatives that have gone from Hull to Cornwall, so why not the other way round. I will be getting hold of the Wilson/Key marriage certificate to make sure I am not going off at a tangent very soon.

Comment

I think it was easy to move from being a blacksmith to a whitesmith. I have a couple of blacksmith's in my tree who became whitesmith's later in life.

Comment

Whitesmiths didn't "come from" anywhere in particular - every area needed a whitesmith and would have had one in their own community, just as every area had a blacksmith.

OC

Comment

Working...
              X