Arthur Wilson - have I bought the right certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arthur Wilson - have I bought the right certificate

I now have the birth certificate for my GGF Arthur Wilson but am uncertain whether I have the right one.

What I have is:

Hull 1864 Myton, Kingston upon Hull
    6/3/1864
    Arthur, biy, father Thomas Wilson, mother Charlotte Wilson formerly Hoy. Gilder and Frame maker master 71 Regent Street, Hull

This could well be the right one but I am having a problem finding a birth for the mother Charlotte Hoy, though the father has the same occupation as Arthur did when he was older.

I also have a marriage certificate for a Thomas Wilson and a Charlotte Metcalf, whats interesting is that she came from the same place as some other relatives, the marriage was in 1840 in Hull, both are labourers and both are illegitimate.

Am I right in thinking that this Arthur is the right one and by my calculations Charlotte would have been born about 1823 in Mordon but can find no trace of her.

If the marriage certificate is right, that line finishes now. Any insight/input would be gratefully received

I don't suppose any of Arthur's siblings have a middle name that might confirm which mother it is?
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Freebmd has this:

Marriages Mar 1842 Sculcoates 22 302

Binning Charlotte
      BLENKARN John
      GILMOUR William
      GREEN John
      HOLMES Jane
      KEY Charlotte
      LIVINGSTON Catherine
      Wilson Thomas

Which is a possible match if her name has been misread in either record.

When Arthur married, what was his father's name & occupation?
      Is Arthur on the census with his family?

I've got an ancestor born in 1862 whose parents married in 1840, so I know it's not impossible, but it is a little unusual. I would have thought it much more likely that the birth is correct, but not the marriage you have found.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
        Freebmd has this:

Marriages Mar 1842 Sculcoates 22 302

Binning Charlotte
        BLENKARN John
        GILMOUR William
        GREEN John
        HOLMES Jane
        KEY Charlotte
        LIVINGSTON Catherine
        Wilson Thomas

Which is a possible match if her name has been misread in either record.

When Arthur married, what was his father's name & occupation?
        Is Arthur on the census with his family?

I've got an ancestor born in 1862 whose parents married in 1840, so I know it's not impossible, but it is a little unusual. I would have thought it much more likely that the birth is correct, but not the marriage you have found.
        Think you could well be right, as it shows Thomas's occupation as Picture Frame maker, so I guess that proves Charlotte Metcalf could not have been his wife.

As for Arthur being on the censuses, he turned up in 1871 and 1881 with his family and then in September 1891 married and set up a home of his own.

Comment

I wonder if someone could also check this out. I have found The Wilson family in the 1861 census via using sibling Maria. Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 3594; Folio: 45; Page: 2; GSU roll: 543158. However I have also found what could be the same family in the 1851 living in Regent street, Thomas' occupation looks like Gardener (hmm) but could be guilder - a master employing one apprentice. There is however a different wife (Sarah) Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2363; Folio: 971; Page: 12; GSU roll: 87637-87639. IN this case you may need to look for a marriage between 1851 and 1861.

Comment

I have checked the 1861 and it shows Thomas as born Kingston upon Hull but the 1851 family shows Thomas as born Mumby Lincolnshire so I don't think it's the same family plus the occupation is definitely gardener and the son Thomas shown on 1861 age 17 is not on the 1851 list.
            Margaret
            Last edited by margaretmarch; 03-06-09, 16:15.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
              I have checked the 1861 and it shows Thomas as born Kingston upon Hull but the 1851 family shows Thomas as born Mumby Lincolnshire so I don't think it's the same family plus the occupation is definitely gardener and the son Thomas shown on 1861 age 17 is not on the 1851 list.
              Margaret
              My Arthur was born in Myton,Kingston upon Hull a much younger child. He had a Thomas as a brother, as well as a father to complicate things. Arthur named his eldest son Thomas (my grandfather), so you see a theme running through the family.

Comment

Working...
              X