finding birth cert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding birth cert

Hi I have hit a complete brick wall I am trying to find the birth of my gt grandfather George Wicks (Wix) he died on the 31st July 1859 at Halstead Essex England he married Caroline Newman at Sible Hedington Essex England they had three children John born 1846 Julia Born 1837 and Susan born 1840. Would appreciate any help with this. Thanks Anne.

Hi Anne
    You could try the Essex Baptism Index. I think it will cost you 3 pounds for a search.
    Moggie

GENUKI: Essex Baptisms

Comment

How old was he when he died? Have you got an approx year of birth from the census entries for him?
      Margaret

Comment

There are 10 entries for George Wix/Wicks births in Essex for 1780-1834 have a look
        FamilySearch.org - Search
        Margaret

Comment

Could this be him? Googlemaps show Gestingthorpe as a village near Sible Hedingham.
          GEORGE WICKS Birth: 28 DEC 1810 Christening: 03 FEB 1811 Gestingthorpe, Essex, Father: THOMAS WICKS Mother: MARY KAYE
          Margaret

Comment

I see from the 1851 census that he was born about 1814/15 in Sible Hedingham. If you can wait a week or two I'll look at the registers next time I'm at the Essex record office.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you so much will have a look. Anne.

Comment

Margaret George Wicks was 53 when he died. Will certainly look at the site you suggested. Thanks for your help Anne.

Comment

Hi Judith,
                  Would really appreciate it if you could look for him when you go to the Essex records office. Thanks you so much Anne.

Comment

Sorry for the delay Anne but eventually got to the records office yesterday.
                    I looked for George's marriage in the Sible Hedingham registers -October 29th 1838 George Wix and Caroline Newman both shown of full age and both signed with a mark. George was a bachelor, a labourer of Swan Street, father John Wix, labourer. Caroline was a spinster also of Swan Street, father James Newman labourer.
                    With fathers' names for checking I then looked for Sible Hedingham baptisms and found
                    1816 April 28th George son of John and Mary Wix of Swan Street, John's occupation labourer
                    1813 17th October Caroline daughter of James and Sarah Newman resident in the workhouse, James' occupation labourer.
                    There were some siblings baptised:
                    John Wix aug 21 1808, buried Aug 4th 1822 aged 14
                    David Wix March 20th 1811
                    Mary Wix April 12th 1818

Sarah Newman May 7th 1815 address this time Church Street father James but mother Mary
                    and Rebekah Newman Dec 22nd 1809 father James mother Anne

Hope this is still of use to you despite the delay.
                    Judith
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

It might be worth bookmarking this link:
                      Seax - Search Seax

There don't seem to be images of the registers you'd be after - at the moment - but they are gradually adding to the list, by the look of it.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                      X