Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

German help please: Frieda, Freida, Frida, Freda, Freeda ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German help please: Frieda, Freida, Frida, Freda, Freeda ...

Is there a correct or more common/standard way to spell Frieda (see title for variations)?

I have a number of variations as to how the name is spelt and I was hoping that someone could tell me if the name, in c1880-85, would have been spelt in a standard way or what may have been the most common way to spell it in Germany.

I have a similar problem with a standard German spelling for Reinhardt, Reinhart, Rhinehart, etc .. as well for around the same time, again in Germany.

Can anyone help please?

The correct German spellings are Frieda and Reinhardt, but you'll find all sorts of weird spellings on English documents. No idea if there would have been any regional/dialect variations in Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
      The correct German spellings are Frieda and Reinhardt, but you'll find all sorts of weird spellings on English documents. No idea if there would have been any regional/dialect variations in Germany.
      Thanks Mary, that's what I thought but, as you say, I do have different English documents with different spellings variations. I've not found a way forward trying to find any German/Germany based reference for this lady yet.

Comment

I would have thought that there was no reason to suppose that German people were more/less accurate in their name-spelling than British document writers. Likewise, there are always people who opt for an unusual/trendy spelling of a name.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I don't think you'll find a German person spelling their name Freida instead of Frieda, or Rienhardt instead of Reinhardt, because it'd completely change the pronunciation. That's the sort of mistake you're liable to find on an English census, made by the enumerator.

Comment

The variations I mentioned are just some of my findings on various English documents. Wills, birth/death/burial certs, census, etc. The most common variation being Frieda Reinhardt. I can't be completely sure but I think she was born c1880-1885. She was born in Germany. Where in Germany is anyone's guess.

I would really like to find some German documentation relating to this lady, like a birth cert but I'm not having much look at all. I don't know her father's or mother's name, if she had any siblings, where in Germany she was born, or exactly when, when she came to England. I do know that the first record I have of her being in England was in 1910, when her son was born.

I'm struggling!

Comment

Normally naturalisation papers would be your answer - but, as a mere woman , she'd take her husband's nationality - so you'd only get his, at best.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

She never married, as far as I'm aware Christine.

Comment

Have you tried looking on TNA, just in case she did get naturalised in her own right?

Christine

Comment

At the names Frieda, Freida, Frida, Freda, Freeda...and Reinhardt Reinhard, Reinhart, Reinart, it is the differently common names.
                    Frieda is the of a whole German linguistic area represented. Freida, Freda, most of Freeda only in the coastal area of the Netherlands via Germany to Denmark. More is a misspelling Frida. It is a not usual pronunciation. To the name Reinhardt no clear area assignment can be Christian name and surname - gives to my knowledge after. Here the parish priest had a free choice in a church register to 1890 as he wanted to write the name. There already were state places for the recording of the citizens in some regions, but also these registers have to be looked with caution.
                    Wolf

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                      Have you tried looking on TNA, just in case she did get naturalised in her own right?

Christine
                      I looked sometime ago Christine but never found anything.

Originally posted by WZowe View Post
                      At the names Frieda, Freida, Frida, Freda, Freeda...and Reinhardt Reinhard, Reinhart, Reinart, it is the differently common names.
                      Frieda is the of a whole German linguistic area represented. Freida, Freda, most of Freeda only in the coastal area of the Netherlands via Germany to Denmark. More is a misspelling Frida. It is a not usual pronunciation. To the name Reinhardt no clear area assignment can be Christian name and surname - gives to my knowledge after. Here the parish priest had a free choice in a church register to 1890 as he wanted to write the name. There already were state places for the recording of the citizens in some regions, but also these registers have to be looked with caution.
                      Wolf
                      Hi Wolf, Thank you very much for your reply. I've been struggling with my Frieda Reinhardt (bc1880-85 Germany), for sometime without much luck. It's difficult to know which direction I should search in as I only have a very limited amount of information on her.

Comment

have you looked on the 1911 census? she should have filled the form out. and you said first mention here was 1910.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                          have you looked on the 1911 census? she should have filled the form out. and you said first mention here was 1910.
                          Morning, Yes, on the England 1911 census she is down as Frieda Rhinehardt but unfortunately the rest of the information on the line hasn't helped me:

neice, 29, single, birth Germany, oh and it does say at the end nationality - German.

Comment

how frustrating!! i may have missed it, but who was she a niece too?

Comment

I can't be 100% sure about this but the other lady I'm interested in is (Henrietta) Sophie (Sophia) Braeseke, also from Germany, German subject. I think she is the relation.

In various places I've seen Sophie and Sophia as the two name variations.

Her surname, I've only seen spelt as mentioned above.

As for Henrietta, the 1911 census is the first time I've seen this.

All the other references I have are for just Sophi(e or a). I presume that this is probably what people actually knew her as.

Comment

so sophia, have you been able to roughly figure out when she came to england?
                                it seems interesting, i have lots of trouble with my german relations, but i dont have the census to help!! or hinder...

Comment

I don't know when she came to England but the first reference I have for her is June, 1889, when she married (in England). She was 36 at the time (according to the cert), so that would have actually meant she was born c1853, Germany. Her Father was called Otto.

It's difficult finding people in another country so I can imagine your problems too.
                                  Last edited by Guest; 05-06-09, 05:43.

Comment

and she just gives germany as place of birth on census? have you looked for her on the 1881 census?

Comment

I couldn't see Sophie on the 1881 census. The first census I can see her on is 1891. If I remember correctly her reference on the 1901 census says born Alnhat, Germany.

Comment

i searched for alnhat as birthplace, and sophie umpleby in yorkshire came up.
                                        there are plenty of people born in anhalt though.
                                        did your Henriette marry john adderley?

Comment

Working...
                                        X