Help...A birth search please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help...A birth search please....

I'm so up a gum tree!!! Please can anyone help me find the birth of Annie Marina Price, I have her as full age in 1877 on her mar. cert. to my grt g'father, Francis Lovis Hill.. In Plymouth.
    On all census it is stated Plymouth as place of birth, her YOB on census after marriage varies from 1856-1861. And I cannot find a birth in Plymouth or anywhere else. The only detail I have for her re parents, her father was Edward Price as per mar. cert....

Thank you in anticipation
    Olga

There are a couple of private member trees which include the name. It might be worth trying the anonymous contact system to see if they have any more useful info for you?

If you have her marriage cert, then do you have a father's name? and occupation?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Annie Price

Still not sure how this system works... Learning curve, work in progress..
      Annie Marina Price father Edward Price/ Fish Dealer..
      Am I replying to you Christine?
      Olga

Comment

Aaah. That gives us something to work on to find them in a census?
        (We have to start from the premise that she was telling the truth!)

Do any witness names look as if they might be family? It's worth noting them, anyway, because the names might turn up later on.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Could this be her in 1861?
          Plymouth RG9/1445 folio 67 page 57
          Head Edwin Price 40 Fish Buyer born Worcester Birdport
          Wife Mary Ann 32 Born Hereford
          Dau. Annie M 4 Scholar born Plymouth
          Son William C 2 Born Plymouth
          dau Adeliade (sic) 6 Scholar born York. Scaboough
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Annie

This is the only census I have found for Annie M Price but the father is Edwin Price, not Edward..on the following census 1871 Mary A wife, is a widow. Edward was however deceased at the time of her marriage. Another but is that her first son was also called Edward..
            Olga

Comment

Found them in 1861! At 2 Lucknow Place, St Andrew, Plymouth.

The father's calling himself Edwin, age 40, (b "Birdport", Dorset - presumably Bridport).
              The mother is Mary Ann, 32, b Hereford.
              They're living in Plymouth.

Annie M PRICE, 4, scholar, b Plymouth.
              William C, 2. b Plymouth
              "Adeliade", 6, scholar, b Scarborough, Yorks.

Christine

Comment

I have seen Edwin/Edward used pretty much interchangeably - as if Edwin were a diminutive of Edward... perhaps it is? Like Robin/Robert.

Christine

Comment

Witness are C.H. Beedle & R Evans. Charles Henry Beedle is brother in law of Francis Lovis Hill, no idea who Evans is
                  Olga

Comment

Adelaide appears to be Adelaide Helen PRICE, b 1854 q4 Scarboro

Christine

Comment

Do you think it's possible due to lack of Annie Marina's education etc that she confused Edward with Edwin... There is an Edwin Price fish dealer in Worcester, 1851 with wife Maria, who appears to have left his family by 1861... & she becomes a widow in the same census as Mary Ann
                      Olga

Comment

I've found the same census returns as you.. There doesn't appear to be any other Annie M Plymouth with a father ED anything.. Nor does there seem to be a record of Annie's birth
                        Olga

Comment

Adelaide possibly marries as Adelaide Ellen PRICE in 1877 q2 Plymouth.
                          Husband's surname could be BEACON/BEACHCOM or TANNER. (Not Evans).

I'm mentioning these only in case the info is needed later - perhaps as a roundabout route to something.

Christine

Comment

Yes Christine, you found the same family that I did. This may be William C.'s birth reg:
                            Alonzo William Charles Price Q2 1859 Plymouth 5b 246

Olga - it may not have been lack of education but just that Annie had always heard her father called Ned, or Ted or Ed and just assumed this was short for Edward
                            Last edited by JudithM; 02-06-09, 23:45.
                            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Or he could have used Edwin as a diminutive, instead of (T)Ed.

Or Annie thought "Edward" sounded better than "Edwin".

Christine
                              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 02-06-09, 23:49.

Comment

Hi,

Just going back to post no. 7 there was an area in Worcester called Birdport although it was apparently demolished in 1930's,
                                Janet ;)

Researching - Curr, Woolven, Beeden, Haslett, Shurey, Barton, Slade & Harding.

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain.

Comment

I have a naval record for William Tanner but no-one in our family knows who he married, he died in 1942 born in c1862... Could be the husband of Adelaide.
                                  Alonzo also rings bells from research with the Beedles & Hills... How does that fit in?
                                  There are also Luscombe's who married into the price family & lived in Guernsey, this is mostly from family memoirs
                                  Olga

Comment

Got that wrong, William H Tanner died May 23rd 1922 age 42 years Naval, hospital Portland
                                    Olga

Comment

Thank you Janet, I did wonder, re Birdport
                                      Olga

Comment

Originally posted by olga_b View Post
                                        Thank you Janet, I did wonder, re Birdport
                                        In that case, the enumerator may have decided it was Dorset (or I may have mis-read the entry), because (s)he made the same mistake that I did.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X