a Clayton mystery. Help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a Clayton mystery. Help please.

Mary Woodhall Clayton married Christopher Copley on March 22nd 1869 at Methley in Yorkshire. She gave the name of her father as David Clayton, a Coal Miner. Witnesses at the wedding were George Wood and Annie Harvey. Mary's given age was 18.

There is a marriage listed for David Clayton to a Hannah Woodhall in 1853.

From subsequent censuses I have Mary's place of birth as Harlington, Stockport, Cheshire.

I have found Mary with her mother Hannah ( a draper) in 1861, reference RG9; Piece: 1921; Folio: 56; Page: 20. Hannah claims to be married but is listed as head of the household.

I have four problems

(1) I can't find Hannah in 1871; but have seen a possible death in 1862:(
    (2) how do I find out any more about David Clayton?
    (3) How do I identify the correct birth certificate for Mary
    (4) is the marriage for David Clayton found above liely to be correct?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions
    Barbara

when and where was hannah born?
    did david have any middle names on the marriage cert?

Comment

Thanks Tessie

According to the 1861 Hannah was born in about 1836 in Ermston, Lancashire (I Think that should be Urmston)

There is no middle name given for David on the marriage certificate.
      Barbara

Comment

Can´t prove a connection at the moment but worth hanging on to!

This looks like Hannah in 1851
        HO107; Piece: 2158; Folio: 131; Page: 12
        - Ancestry.co.uk

and living in the same parish is a David Clayton (coal miner)
        HO107; Piece: 2158; Folio: 145; Page: 17;
        - Ancestry.co.uk
        Elaine

Comment

oh thanks Elaine - that does look promising
          Barbara

Comment

IGI submitted entry :(

Mary Woodall CLAYTON
            Birth: 1852 Hartington, , Cheshire, England
            Death: 20 APR 1918
            Burial: 22 APR 1918 St Peter'S,Hoyland, , Yorkshire, England

Parents: DAvid Clayton / Hannah Woodall

If birth year is correct then it would look as if she was illegitimate - but cannot see a Mary Woodall in freeBMD
            As I said it's a submitted entry so not necessarily accurate!
            Elaine

Comment

well the burial on that looks right at least.

Its in the area where her children were born, and I have sent for a 1918 death certificate for her today.

No I couldn't see a relevant Mary Woodhall - but there is a Mary Clayton born Stockport reg district on FreeBMD in 1852, and also one in 1850
              Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 02-06-09, 18:33.
              Barbara

Comment

do you know hannah's parents names?

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Dodds View Post
                  No I couldn't see a relevant Mary Woodhall - but there is a Mary Clayton born Stockport reg district on FreeBMD in 1852, and also one in 1850
                  There are a few :(

Births Mar 1850
                  Clayton Mary
                  Stockport 19 250

Births Dec 1851
                  CLAYTON Mary
                  Stockport 19 307

Births Sep 1852
                  CLAYTON Mary Hannah
                  Stockport 8a 41

Births Dec 1852
                  CLAYTON Mary
                  Stockport 8a 10

If she was aged 9 in the 1861 census then the December 1851 would be the best fit.
                  Elaine

Comment

Tessie: my best guess is that Hannah's father is Samuel; which ties in with the family Elaine found above.

Elaine: the 1851 would also tie in with Mary being 18 in 1869; so I guess that would be the one to send for.

I just seem to have been going round and round in circles on this one.
                    Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 13-06-09, 10:03. Reason: mother = samuel? I don't think so
                    Barbara

Comment

did david die and hannah remarry and is why you can't find her in 1871? either that or thats the death you found? is david just away working in 1861, there are a few boarders/lodgers?

Comment

Thanks for those suggestions Tessie

I really don't know as its a common name and I haven't managed to tie a David definitely to Mary and Hannah so have no idea of a place of birth.
                        Barbara

Comment

I've had a couple of certs through for this - and I'm still not really any the wiser:(

Mary Woodhall Copley died aged 66 years on 20th April 1918 in Grimethorpe. Her son D C Copley registered the death. Same address for informant and Mary.

That all seems to be as expected, and gives Mary a yob of between April 1851 and April 1852 (is that right?).

I have also now received the birth cert from the December quarter 1851 which Elaine suggested was the most likely.

Mary Clayton born 26th October 1851 Daw Bank Stockport, father Thomas Clayton, mother Sarah Clayton formerly Dullen(?) which doesn't seem to fit.

Given the above would you send for the other possible Mary Clayton births in the hope that one was correct?
                          Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 13-06-09, 10:12.
                          Barbara

Comment

you could, but it would get expenisve. i would pick the next most likely one.

and failing that, maybe she wasn't registered? or was illegit?

Comment

I don't even want to think about her not being registered:(

Thanks Kyle, yes it does make more sense justto go for the next most likely one doesn't it?
                              Barbara

Comment

as long as your in denial, its the best course!! not so sure the credit card will like the continous round of poundings if none of them are the right ones!!

Comment

You could put a reference check for David as the father and that would only cost £3/4 (can't remember exactly how much they refund if it's not right) if it was not the one. I always use reference check if I have several possibles that way all you're paying for is the check rather than a full cert. You can apply for them all at the same time and they just send the one that is correct.
                                  Margaret

Comment

Thanks for that suggestion too Margaret.

Kyle - I'm hoping not to have to send for all ofthem. As you say - it gets a bit expensive.
                                    Barbara

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Dodds View Post
                                      I have also now received the birth cert from the December quarter 1851 which Elaine suggested was the most likely.

Mary Clayton born 26th October 1851 Daw Bank Stockport, father Thomas Clayton, mother Sarah Clayton formerly Dullen(?) which doesn't seem to fit.
                                      Oops, sorry! :o
                                      Elaine

Comment

Not to worry Elaine - it wasn't very clear which one would be the best fit at all
                                        Barbara

Comment

Working...
                                        X