Damaged file on FTM 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged file on FTM 2005

I have had this problem with FTM 2005 for some time but have just put up with it. However, now that I have FTM 2009 I want to export my 2005 tree to 2009 and can't - the problem is that on some people when I click the edit button it causes the tree to crash. It only happens on one tree on my FTM programme. The other trees i have successfully exported to 2009 with no problems but this one tree I just can't and the annoying thing is it is my largest tree with over 4,000 people on it. At the moment I have used an earlier version of the family with about 500 people on it and I have been manually adding to it bit by bit but it is incredibly slow.
    Any suggestions on how to cure this tree from crashing?
    Sorry if this doesn't make sense - see below

By crashing the following happens - I click the edit button to add some fact or other and it come up with "the information in the specified file has been damaged and cannot be used. Please revert to a backup file (*FBC)." I then have to shut down that tree and reopen it.

Then when I try to export this tree to 2009 I get "The import failed because of an unknown error occurred".

Any suggestions to mend the fault? I am very poor with computer stuff so apologies.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

There is some advice on the Family Tree online help site for repairing a damaged file.

Answer

Might be worth trying it - but I would save a copy of your file somewhere first before you do it - just in case it screws the whole thing up!
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine - I will have a look and then wait until hubby is available to help me with it if I find it too complicated.
      Off to have a look.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I think you will need to print it out as there is quite a bit of it, but it looks fairly straightforward.
        Good luck!
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,
          Yes, I have just printed it out.
          I will have to do a back-up copy of the tree before I progress but I will do all this later when I have some help.
          Thanks again - I knew I could rely on the forum folks to help, I am only sorry that I didn't ask ages ago.
          I will let you know how it goes.
          herky

Comment

Have you tried saving it as a Gedcom and then importing that rather than an FTM file, into FTM 2009?
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Oh poor you! I had this happen to me too years ago when I was on 2005.

Have you still got an .FBK of the original tree before it went wonky? Say on stick or a CD anywhere's you may have forgot?

I was lucky that I had. Here's what I did - opened up the .FBK version and then made 1 spelling correction in my own entry and saved the whole thing with a new filename. I then had a new .FTW version. I copied that from "My Documents" on to a spare CD along with the original .FBK (just in case! LOL)

Next, I deleted the faulty .FTW file from "My Documents" and then renamed the new one to be same name as the faulty one. I was lucky and everything worked fine the next time I used it, although I was still using 2005 and not trying to import into a newer program like you are.

Remember to backup/copy all the vital files before you start!

I hope that helps.

Comment

Hi Wendy and Galloway Lass,
                I am afraid I am a bit of an idiot with computers.
                I have managed to import a version of about 500 people - i guess this is the version before the fault as other versions don't work.
                How do you save the tree as a Gedcom? there I really am an idiot!!
                herky

Comment

Go to File Menu/Export File/Entire File and then choose Gedcom at the bottom of the list, give it a name and save it.
                  Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Wendy,
                    Thanks for that but no joy.
                    I think I will leave it for now and see if I can get some on-hand help just in case I make things worse.
                    Thanks to all.
                    herky

Comment

Hi again,
                      Just to say that I have now tried your tip for a ged com thingy - it worked fine with another undamaged file but no joy with the damaged one. So at least I now have learned something new.
                      I will have to resort to the advice from Elaine and use the repair thing from FTM.
                      many thanks.
                      herky

Comment

Working...
                      X