Royal Artillery Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Artillery Info

I have now got my grandads army records. Which are great but now I'm after getting abit more info on the regiment he was in.

I've searched on the internet but don't seem to have found much. He was in 28th division Royal Field Artillery. Not sure where I can look next.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dizzzy

What sort of period are you talking WWI or WWII? My understanding is the Royal Field Artillery was made up of Batteries, that together made Brigades. These were then attached to Infantry Divisions. Do you mean he was in the 28th Brigade of the RFA, or that his brigade was attached to the 28th Division of the Army? Either way you should be able to trace their movements through other sources, ie war diaries, and the long long trail site if you are talking WWI era.

Comment

This tells you a little bit about the 28th division ie when it was formed.

The Royal Field Artillery of 1914-1918

and this is the link for the Roay Artillery Museum

Last edited by JBee; 01-06-09, 14:04.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry forgot to say that he joined in 1934. On his records it said 3rd battery 28th regiment. We think we've found a couple of bits of info in 1942 which tie up with when he was taken a pow.

Comment

Dizzzy that'd refer to the 28th Brigade then I imagine, rather than the number of the division the brigade ended up attatched to. Not sure how you'd go about tracing their movements during WWII though. If it was WWI I'd try and track down the war diary for the Brigade at Kew. May be a case of the same for WWII, I'd definently get in touch with the Regimental Museum though via JBees link, they may well hold them actually, or would no doubt know where they are kept.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
            Dizzzy that'd refer to the 28th Brigade then I imagine, rather than the number of the division the brigade ended up attatched to. Not sure how you'd go about tracing their movements during WWII though. If it was WWI I'd try and track down the war diary for the Brigade at Kew. May be a case of the same for WWII, I'd definently get in touch with the Regimental Museum though via JBees link, they may well hold them actually, or would no doubt know where they are kept.
            I think your right about going by JBees link. I'll either email or later in the year my dad's going to London so might send him there.

Getting these records has been great but I feel like there's soo much more that I'd still like to find out.

Comment

WW2 War diaries are at Kew too.
              The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
                WW2 War diaries are at Kew too.
                Great will have to have a look. Not sure what I'm doing though so here goes:o.

Comment

Working...
                X