Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going around in circles

Hi

I have a blog entry 'Who is George Arthur Perry' where you can access all the details related to my g.grandfather.

From this someone guided me to the medical registers. Sadly this just gave me the same names as I had researched via the census details.

For information: Possible fathers

George Perry: Scots Fusilliers. b circa 1834 Bishops Stortford, although possible did have children George E. J. and Arthur L. so I would think it is unlikely he would have had an earlier child George Arthur, tucked away prior to his marriage.

George Joseph Perry, Glamorgan and Droxford Hampshire. Had a son, George in the 1840's so too old for my ancestor.

George Perry: Co. Kildare. I have previously discounted this man as my great grandfather was a british national by parentage. Could I be wrong in discounting him?

Checking variations on the name.

George Parry, Docking, Norfolk, Son George Hales Parry also became a surgeon.

George Penny; surgeon dentist. this feels the closest possibility. In 1861 he was living in Cheltenham, unmarried, however there is no sign of a son. In 1881, still in Cheltenham, still unmarried. I cannot find him in 1851 or 1871. This man ay be possible as family stories indicate that George Arthurs father was a ships surgeon and sailed around the world George A. being born in S.America in 1853. However George Penny is a surgeon dentist and completely unrelated, my father had quite a facial resemblence to Jimmy Perry the comedy writer. I have looked at his possible family but I cannot link it in.

Any ideas!?

I am back to going around in circles.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Bubblebelle
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Have you got his marriage cert. as this usually gives fathers name, although not always and not normally if he was bornout of wedlock, have you tried the IGI?

Comment

what is his date and place of birth?

Comment

Hi

I have two marriage certs. both name George Arthurs father as George Perry and his occupation... surgeon. Hence checking George Perry on medical registers. I believe there is at least one other marriage, as yet unfound.

From 1891, 1901 and 1911 census, birthplace appears to be Santiago, Chile circa 1853. There does not appear to be any GRO returns, a cousin went to Kew and she also contacted the Chilean embassy. thay had no recor although advised that registration was voluntary. His death cert gives no info re birthplace and sggests he may have been born in 1854.

I can find no record for George Arthur in 1881 census, although he married in Newcastle, I think in January. Bizarrely his wife does appear on 1881 census, reortedly unmarried and in service to the vicar of Mickley.

All the information i do have is within the blog.

This is why I go down so many blind alleys and detours with this.

Funnily enough I found someone in my hot matches on genes today, however he I believe is the author of the John Pope mystery, who I have been in contact with before and is equally baffled.

bubblebelle

PS I have not found anything on igi
        Last edited by bubblebelle; 01-06-09, 19:57. Reason: addition
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

who is his wife?

Comment

I have no idea who George seniors wife was.

George Arthurs were unknown, Jessie Pope, Edith Youell.

There are numerous family stories re George or George Arthur being possibly related by marriage to Spanish royalty/gypsy. Perry possibly being derived from Perez, but
            all unsubstanciated.

Bubblebelle
            Bubblebelle x

Comment

Have you tried to see if there is anything at the National Archives for ships doctors/surgeons. They seem to have a lot about the Merchant and Royal Navys.
              Margaret

Comment

I am not vey good at accessing National Archives via internet. However a very kind man did check for me at Kew. I had been advised of a possible match, but it turned out he would have been too young. There were scans on the New Zealand site, but again they proved to be a dead end.

There is a possible match for the 2 Georges travelling on the SS Great Britain together. but even with this George jr age would be too young, but I have been advised that this may relate to passage costs.

I have looked up why someone may have travelled to Chile in the 1850's. I understand that ore used to be transported to Chile for smelting from Wales. There was also an expedition for the transit of Venus at this time.

There was a British community of sailors in somewhere beginning with V . in Chile but the census returns are clear in the St Tago (Santiago) link.

I sometimes wonder if George Arthur romanticised his upbringing, however there are so many truths I have uncovered later in his life that I am beginning to believe his roots.
                Bubblebelle x

Comment

Just to thank you both for your help
                  Bubblebelle x

Comment

there is a lot of merchant seaman info in southhamton library specail collections
                    but i don't know what but could be worth a phone call or email.

edit to add links
                    karen
                    Last edited by tinkerbe; 02-06-09, 05:22.
                    wye surrey/london/birmingham
                    lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                    hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                    ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                    herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                    armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Have you tried to trace the witnesses at the weddings you have? They might have been relatives of some sort.
                      Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
                        Hi

George Perry: Co. Kildare. I have previously discounted this man as my great grandfather was a british national by parentage. Could I be wrong in discounting him?

Bubblebelle
                        What else do you know about this man? How do you know great grandfather was British National by parentage? If it is taken from census documents I wouldn't say that would always be accurate. People said what they wanted on census forms and did not have to 'prove' anything.
                        Margaret

Comment

My mother was born in Kildare in 1908. She was British, as were all those born in Ireland before the 1920s. My grandmother was Irish born but she too was British. Don't discount any possibilities - have you considered a possible Army connection?

Comment

Hi again

Thank you tinkerbe. I will contact Southampton.

Yes Margaret I have followed the witnesses but have not found a link. I also appreciate what you have said related to census returns. I have thought the same. However his son from his second marriage, wrote a journal with quite a bit of information and the seafaring notion is well documented within this. It is also a detail that has been passed down the family. However I have not taken this information as red and have spent time looking around this information. My blog contains all the info I can verify ( and some that is possible) It is quite long and why I have not rewritten it here.

Shirleysilversurfer. Thank you for that info. I will do some more digging in relation to this George. Kellys directory show him practicing in Ireland in the 1850's.
                            Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                            X