Multiple birthplaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple birthplaces

Would you agree that the birthplace on a census entry when someone lives with their parent/s is likely to be the most accurate?

I've been looking at someone who changes her mind every 10 years (though Middlesex always features). I've never been able to find a baptism and she was born before 1837.

Probably.......
    Although one lot of mine in 1901 record their 10years old son as born in a Herefordshire village....but I have a copy of his birth certificate. He was born in the same house as my grandmother, in a south Wales coal mining valley.

Comment

You'd like to think a mother would know where her child was born, but my great grandfather always has Mashbury as his place of birth on every census, marriage and death certs, children's birth certs, etc., when in fact his birth cert has Great Waltham. He was, however, baptised a couple of weeks later in Mashbury and lived there till he came to Australia.

Comment

This girl starts off 1841 Middlesex, 1851 Marylebone (then she gets married), 1861 Stepney, (then she's widowed and remarried) 1871 St John's Wood, 1881 St Pancras.

Comment

My GT Grandfather was born in Southwell Nottinghamshire, and this is stated on the 1881, 91, 1901 census, yet on the 1911 census he puts down he was born in Radford Nottingham,where he was living at the time. He filled inthe form himself.
          Southwell is 14 miles from Nottingham, you would have thought he knew were he was born.No wonder they cause us to doubt things

George
          Researching Drury, Tinley, Watson, Pavier. Mainly Nottinghamshire

Comment

My great great granny either was born (in the early censuses 1861, 1871) in ireland, the 1881 census in Malta, the 1891, 1901 and 1911 in Lichfield, Staffordshire - I have no idea where to start with a birth certificate !!!

Comment

Good grief champagnegal however are you going to sort that one out??

Comment

With one of my grandmothers I have noticed her place of birth differs from census to census.

Comment

Jill,

I have had a similar experience in the same area: my relative used Marylebone and St John's Wood indiscriminately. I believe St John's Wood was part of the much larger parish/district of Marylebone. St Pancras is certainly nearby, and they are all in Middlesex of course. However, Bethnal Green is a bit further afield.

Peter

Comment

Depends who is asking , to an extent, as to where I say I was born.

I wan't born as close as I could have been to where my Mum & Dad lived. There are times that, if asked the Q would reply ''I was brought up in x'' which isn't the place I was born, in actual fact.

If someone was born in a tiny village that no one has heard of, they might well name the nearest big town, rather than have someone ask ''where is that?''
                    Jess

Comment

my 2xgt grandmother was born in East Harptree, Somerset, in 1844. She was living there in 1851, so giving an accurate place of birth on that census was no great problem. But she moved to Middlesbrough after she married - in Kent - in 1866. On every census 1871-1911 she gives her place of birth as Bristol. Well, OK, its "down South" - but the nearest large town is Bath, not Bristol. Good job she has quite a rare name, or I might still be looking for her parents in Bristol.

The father of one of her sons-in-law also coincidentally consistently gave his place of birth as Bristol. This a family from Birmingham - on all censuses in Birmingham; parents married there & he and all his siblings were baptised in Birmingham. I haven't found a birth registration for him anywhere (1841) so I can only assume his mother was there on a short visit for some reason (I haven't managed to trace any relatives there) and she had already returned home by the time the local registrar came round.
                      Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 01-06-09, 15:17.
                      Vicky

Comment

I'd go with Jess too in that I don't give an accurate place of birth - a maternity home in a small village some miles away from where my parents lived - instead I give the nearest large town which is also the registration district on my birth certificate.
                        Vicky

Comment

I just wonder who was giving my woman's details, it would have been her mother or oldest sibling for 1841/51 and maybe down to her subsequent husbands' vague recollections for the 1861/71/81.

Comment

thinking about it a bit more, the more accurate locations are (perhaps quite unhelpfully really) likely to be if they are still living in the same place. They tend to get more vague & inaccurate the further away, and also sometimes with age (not always - 3xgt grandfather quite helpfully before he died said "Moorhouses", rather than "Shields" in the previous 2 censuses).

and that's without enumerators who also don't know the area. I've one living in Northumberland where Pendleton, Salford has been enumerated as Punnelton, Tallyford.

I've also noticed, in a large family where ten of the 12 children were baptised in different villages (this is in the 1820's & 30's), the parents tend to get confused about who was born where, and tend to lump several together children in one place, which varies between censuses too. But at least all the places were in the NE of England, not spread across countries!
                            Vicky

Comment

Working...
                            X