Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another pair of eyes would be appreciated

please.....to make out an 'occupation' in the 1851 census for -

Charlotte Saman living in Sidwell Exeter born Plymtree Devon in 1783 - she is
    Head of the household, with a servant Mary Vincent aged 20.

Can you make out the occupation they have for Charlotte please, I can't make head nor tail of it. Many thanks,

My first guess is House Maid for family - about the best I can do!
    Elaine

Comment

First word is House I think. Can't make out the rest of it though
      Barbara

Comment

This is very difficult. I would hazard a guess that the first letter of the first word is 'H' as this appears several times and - one occupation is Horse and feed merchant and the 'H' is the same

Possibly 'House ..............'

The writing is very flowery

Expect more will have a go soon

Comment

Head Property (spelt wrong)???

Comment

He uses the old-fashioned double ss that looks like a p - see Draper's Assistant.

Comment

House & Land property?

Comment

You lot are quick, I turned my back for a minute and suddenly there were all these answers. Many thanks, you've certainly made more out of it than I could. I am grateful for your thoughts and suggestions.

Any more ideas are most welcome if anyone comes along later. It is my bedtime over here so am going to sneak out and I will come back in the morning to see if anyone else has managed any alternative ideas. Meantime thankyou to all those who have already had a go at this.

........................heads off to bed yawning...............have a lovely sunday all:D

Comment

I think it says House Head Property or House Head Propriety (the old fashioned definition of propriety is "Individual right to hold property; ownership by personal title")
                  Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                    I think it says House Head Property or House Head Propriety (the old fashioned definition of propriety is "Individual right to hold property; ownership by personal title")

Tend to agree with that, Jackie

Comment

Thankyou all, now when I look at it I can see 'House Head Propriety', which I imagine would be similar to 'of own means' 'independant' etc

Couldn't have managed it without you, so your help and suggestions have been much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X