Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you write this?

I often contact people re my one-name study. Either on GR or by Google
    I usually say something like,"I am carrying out a one-name study etc. If you would like to join contact me for the password".
    I have directed them to my site where they can see the home page.
    Of those that reply 90% will have either opened their tree or say something like, "I only have 4 Brewertons etc"
    The remainder say, Yes, I'd love to have access to your site but do not open their tree or give any info.
    I then go down the route of show me yours and then I'll show you mine.

I want to devise a small statement which gets across the fact, both to those that I contact and those that contact me, which says that before I will give out any invites to the study, they have to share their info. I am so fed up with people contacting me with claims that they are going to send loads of info but when you give the password they disappear.

How does this sound?
    To be written on my home page.

Welcome to the Brewerton one-name study
    The information on here has either been generously given to me by others
    or found by me during many hours of hard work.
    The prerequisite of joining the study is that you share your names with us
    so that both you and the study will benefit.
    I look forward to receiving your name/names and opening the study to you.

I'm sure many of you can write a better statement than that?
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

In order to expand the ******* one name study I need support with the supply of information. Unfortunately many have viewed the site but not supplied what they promised and so I reluctantly have to ask for information up front. This helps in two ways as your information is added which you can check is correct when you view the site.

??????

No yours is better.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Why not simply open you site to everyone.
      I have had my site containing my family tree and thousands of transcriptions open to all since 1997/8 without anyone ripping off my databases.
      (When the IGI came online I had one of the few working links to the site and received loads of hits throughout my site as people looked for other information).
      If my site was liable to be ripped off that would have been a prime time but no.

Since that time tens of thousands if not millions of people have viewed my site.
      Thousands have sent me addition accurate information and as many have written to say how much it has helped them.
      Another advantage of an open site is when people send information it is sometimes more accurate information than that sent as part of an exchange.
      Some people simple grab available information from where they can if they have to send something to gain what you have. Making the site open means you only receive information from interested people, which when checked turns out to be far more valuable.

What many do not understand is family history covers a wide range of subjects and many people who are not family historians may be interested in your work.
      I have been contacted by people doing social studies, local historian’s students studying farming and medievalists to mention just a few.

Open your site to the world share your information, it does not cost anything, you do not lose anything and you could potentially help thousands.
      Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I would go with Guy's view that to have an open site is likely to be more productive in the end - it's not as if you have done your research simply to put on a site. It has (I hope) been an enjoyable pastime for you and this latest project is an extension of that.
        Margaret

Comment

i would do a trial period of what Guy says.
          i would ask for anyone to send information and photographs of people and grave stones of brewertons to help the site become better.
          i would also put a message under your name on here asking people who do the places of worship if they see a brewerton grave or reference to brewertons in their own research to send it to you.
          the meercat.

Comment

I agree with Guy too - open it up to the world. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Comment

Oh what innocents you all are.
              When I first put my study onto tribal pages last year after 5 years of collecting information, I did a hugh mail drop giving people access to the full site.
              I had something like 60 new visitors and 20 people got back to me with information.
              A couple of months later I did another search of trees on Gr and Ancestry and several people had put my info down who had not replied.
              I have found the best way to generate info is to show people the home page which 'proves' that I am not making it up and ask them to join in the study.
              I was hoping to find a way of wording this on the home page to make potential joiners realise the benefits they and the study will get.
              Are people aware that some one-name studies charge to join?
              All I want to know is where people are connected and their Brewertons names which is often only one or two.
              A TribalPages.com Family Tree genealogy website researching Brewerton, Bruerton, Broughton, Brueton, Le Gay Brereton, Brewertons, Smith, Taylor, Brown, Brewertons connected and other surnames.
              Last edited by Jeanie with one n.; 31-05-09, 14:57.
              If it's to be, it's up to me.
              Searching for:
              English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanie with one n. View Post
                Oh what innocents you all are.
                I for one have been round the block a few times as they say, but thanks anyway.

Comment

i didnt know you had done the trial period already.
                  obviously that didnt work.

i must be a bit of an innocent because i didnt realise some one name studies charge to join.

i would go with your message.
                  it sounds ok to me.
                  the meercat.

Comment

Working...
                  X