Castle Dover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castle Dover?

Just found a relly at Castle Dover, looked at the image and all persons are gunners? I take it this would be army/raf or similar? I am trying to find some info. on it now, but if anyone has any knowledge themselves I would be grateful of a nudge in the right direction!
    Many thanks
    Tessie

Also had a relative stationed at Dover Castle in 1926. He was in the Royal Garrison Artillery. Later on he was with the Royal Artillery in India. If a soldier is described as a Gunner he is serving in a Royal Artillery outfit.

The Royal Artillery - British Army Website

Comment

thanks modem, will have a look, couldn't find much on google!

Comment

It won't be the RAF.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

wasn't it a ship or a place. i think it was in generals die in bed by yale harrison.

Comment

Sorry to be thick but do you mean Dover Castle as in the place?

Comment

I think you may mean Dover Castle! Three of my G Aunties were born there whilst their father was a Gunner in 17th Brigade Royal Artillery. They were at Castle Place St James Dover and all Baptised at St Mary's Church there, between 1869 & 1872. I did get some information on a site called 'Dover Past & Present' but I can't seem to find it now - I did also contact a person there who said that they were starting to archive data from there. It's ages ago now and I seem to have lost the email. :o

I hope this is of some help and if I find anything more I'll let you know, I'm interested myself as there doesn't seem to be a great deal of information about the place around the dates I want. I believe there was a lot of rebuilding between 1850's and into early 1870's, Barracks and Gun Emplacements according to what I have read.
              Buttercup

Comment

scrap wat i said before, i was thinking of the llandovery castle. haha

Comment

This site is worth a look depending on the time you are interested in - www.doverhistory.co.uk/OriginofNames/fj. There are some wonderful stories in here about the town, streets and events happening there.

I love the one about the drunken man - described as being 'deprived of his legs'. And have you ever heard of a 'piquet of soldiers' Most Alarming Fire at Dover- ain't the english language fab!
                  Buttercup

Comment

Working...
                  X