Help a window has appeared details below

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help a window has appeared details below

When I returned to my pc this afternoon I found a small box in the centre of the screen saying ' Windows File Protection Files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability windows must restore the original version of these files. Insert your windows XP service pack 3 cd now' Problem is pc came from pc world and did not come with XP discs Help please. xxhugxx

There's an article about this here.

Description of the Windows File Protection feature

What you could try is to run System File Checker.

Click on Start, Run, type in sfc click okay, it may sort it out and it won't harm anything by doing this.

If that doesn't sort it download and install Windows Service Pack 3 from the microsoft website.
    Best Wishes
    Ron
    www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Thank you Ron xxhugxx

Comment

Did it sort it out ???
        Best Wishes
        Ron

Comment

Lindy, I am a complete dumbhead when it comes to computers which is why I am eternally grateful for a friend's son who helps me out when necessary.

I had this very same message a while ago, and was fortunate enough to contact this chap before turning off my laptop..........whatever you do, if it's not too late, don't turn your computer off because it wont start up again. The repair needs to be done before turning off.
          Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Hi I did as Ron suggested and nothing seems to have occurred so hopefully it is now sorted. But not sure if I should still download the patch. xxhugxx

Comment

Download and install Service Pack 3, it won't hurt anything if it's not required by Windows and it will overwrite any dodgy files. Here's a link for it.

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
              Best Wishes
              Ron

Comment

Ron how do I know if I have the other service packs it says I must have before downloading this one? xxhugxx

Comment

Go to Start, Control Panel, System, General Tab, it will tell you what srvice pack you have there. If your SP3 is not installed then it will say whatever one you have but if you have a dodgy file SP3 download and install should sort it out.
                  Best Wishes
                  Ron

Comment

It states that I have Service Pack 3 so should I now leave things be ? xxhugxx

Comment

If you are getting the window that says files are not what they should be I would download and install it again, it won't hurt anything and at worst it will be the same as it is now and it just might cure it but you did say everything was okay now, so if it is okay I would just carry on as you are.
                      Best Wishes
                      Ron

Comment

Working...
                      X