Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of Who Do We Think You Are? 28th May is ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winner of Who Do We Think You Are? 28th May is ...

It has been decided that the draw is to be re-done so the new winner is:

Mariescott64

Well done i hope you get your brickwall knocked down.
    Jen

Thanks for choosing me.
    I thought i had this in the bag, but it turns out i had the wrong person!!!!
    I am looking for Thomas HUMMERSTON b c1831 presumably in the London area.
    I have him on the 1841 census
    James HAMMERSTONE H 50 Shoemaker
    Elizabeth do 45
    Henry do S 10 (my GGGF)
    Thomas do S 10
    Living in Artillery Lane St Botolph without Bishopgate
    I do know there is also an older sister Elizabeth b 1820 but she has married by this time.

After 1841 i have not found any trace of Thomas, and no deaths that could be his either.
    As you can imagine this name has been mistranscribed in so many different ways, i am now at a loss as to where to search now.

BTW as the 1841 census doesnt give relationships, i may have it completely wrong and he may have been a visiting rellie.

Thanks for looking
    Marie
    My avatar is my GGGF JJJW Hummerston
    Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Comment

What does it say for "born in same county" on that 1841 census entry? Y or N?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

that doesnt always help kite!!

Comment

Maybe not but at least it would confirm whether or not he was born in the London area.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

sometimes even that gets confusing. i hope she finds him. my lot never knew where they were born in 1841!! most would say in county, and weren't born there! one guy on the page in yorkshire, did say he was born in suffolk though!!

Comment

Sorry
              had to go back and check. But yes is does say they were all born in county

thanks
              Marie
              Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Comment

There is a Thomas Bummerthon, whose name has been corrected to Hummerston, in 1851.

Born Bethnal Green c1833, his parents are William and Ann. William is a silk weaver and they are living at 22 George Street, Bethnal Green.

Probably no help, but interesting.

Class: HO107; Piece: 1541; Folio: 437; Page: 42; GSU roll: 174771.
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                  There is a Thomas Bummerthon, whose name has been corrected to Hummerston, in 1851.

Class: HO107; Piece: 1541; Folio: 437; Page: 42; GSU roll: 174771.
                  You can contact the person who made the correction if that would help if you have access to ancestry. If not I could do it for you.
                  Margaret

Comment

Mariescott64,
                    Just had a look at the 1841 entry you found and I think it shows Thomas as born 'out of county' - looks more like a 'no' than the 'yes' for the others. The other child Henry with the same age showing was born 'in county' so they are not twins and looking at the rest of the entries I would say the enumerator has rounded all the ages over 10 year. Given Thomas is listed first he will most likely be older than Henry so anything up to 13 I would guess.
                    I know this doesn't help much.
                    Margaret

Comment

Is this James and Elizabeth in 1851? HO107; Piece: 1531; Folio: 124; Page: 42
                      If so he says he was born in City of London and so was she which would make me think that perhaps that's where Thomas was born before they moved to Middlesex.
                      However that doesn't explain why James and Elizabeth both said they were born 'in county' in 1841 ??
                      Margaret
                      Last edited by margaretmarch; 30-05-09, 14:43.

Comment

Thanks Caroline and Margaret the Thomas you found is the one i followed for a while before i realised he had the wrong parents.
                        I do know that the correct father for Henry is James, as i have his MC and his father is on that. I have also found his parents James and Elizabeth in 1851 but the boys are not with them.
                        Just had a thought, maybe Thomas is with is sister Elizabeth in 1851( she married Thomas Foord in Dec 1838 Bloomsbury vol 1 page 59)
                        Will get back to you on that

Marie

have checked and no Thomas with his sister.
                        Last edited by mariescott64; 31-05-09, 12:31.

Comment

Not only did the Thomas with WIlliam and Ann have the wwrong parents but he was with his parent in 1841 so not likelyto have been a visitor in Marie''s family (Though I have known peope to be recorded in two places at once!) tThe fact he was recorded above Henry also suggests he is a son of the family not a visitor.
                          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hi Marie, did Thomas marry? If so who to and do you know of their children?
                            Rose

Comment

Hi Rose
                              No as i have said i chased the wrong Thomas for a while, and when i realised i started again and have found nothing, marriage, death etc. its like he just vanished but probably just badly transcribed, but i am still looking.

Thanks
                              Marie

BTW someone found a family on the parish register site that we thought could be mine, but sadly they were not, different parents again.
                              Last edited by mariescott64; 05-06-09, 18:13.

Comment

I see, I hadn't read the thread properly sorry. Don't suppose they emigrated? I have people who were on the 1851 census, emigrated in June of that year and were back in Lincolnshire by 1856. I would never have known if they hadn't had my ?xG GM in USA!

Good luck
                                Rose

Comment

There is a death for Thomas Hummerstone, Camberwell 4 61, June 1849.
                                  Also Thomas Hammerstone, Whitechapel 2 576, Dec 1847
                                  I presume you have already sent for those? They might not be the right reg districts that you expect but I have two that have died in the "wrong place"; one was in the same area that the grandparents lived twenty miles away from "home".

Do you know if he was a witness to any of his siblings marriages?
                                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 06-06-09, 19:15.
                                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
                                  X