I'd appreciate your help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd appreciate your help!

I have a friend in the US who has been trying to find information on her great great grandfather, but I haven't had much luck so far, so I thought I'd turn to the experts. Here's the info I have:

Richard Hillary
    b. 28 Apr 1839 in Lincolnshire. d 1901
    Emigrated June 1871 and was naturalised in 1897 (Pennsylvania)
    Married Mary Murray b. 1840 d. 1925
    They had 6 children: Fred, Frank, Peter, Katheryn, William, George & Richard.

There are stories of him being in one of the guards regiments and also of him standing for election (and losing) in his 20s.

I have found records for a Richard Hillary from Dorset, but nothing for Lincolnshire. I've also found records with the misspelling of Hillery in US records.

Any help would be most appreciated.
    Last edited by lorry53; 30-05-09, 14:54. Reason: To alter Mary's death date & to add Richard's. Sorry!
    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Lorry53,
    have you any idea of where in Lincs he was born?
    Margaret

Comment

Were Richard & Mary married in UK or US?

Jane

Comment

Originally posted by Breckland Jane View Post

Jane
        Jane,
        Looking at the 1880 US census transcript on family search.org it looks like wife Mary was born in NY so I guess the marriage was in US. Here's the transcript.
        Richard HILLERY Self M Male W 39 ENG Laborer ENG ENG
        Mary E. HILLERY Wife M Female W 30 NY Keeping House IRE NY
        Fred HILLERY Son S Male W 5 PA ENG NY
        Frank HILLERY Son S Male W 3 PA ENG NY
        Nellie HILLERY Dau S Female W 2 PA Pa ENG NY
        John HILLERY Son S Male W 1M PA ENG NY
        Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
          Margaret
          wouldnt ire mean ireland?

Comment

Lorry53,
            have you any idea of where in Lincs he was born?Margaret
            I'm afraid not.

Originally posted by Breckland Jane View Post
            Jane
            I assume the US as she was born there.

Jane,
            Looking at the 1880 US census transcript on family search.org it looks like wife Mary was born in NY so I guess the marriage was in US. Here's the transcript.
            Richard HILLERY Self M Male W 39 ENG Laborer ENG ENG
            Fred HILLERY Son S Male W 5 PA ENG NY
            Frank HILLERY Son S Male W 3 PA ENG NY
            Nellie HILLERY Dau S Female W 2 PA Pa ENG NY
            John HILLERY Son S Male W 1M PA ENG NY
            Margaret
            This is Mary in the 1880 US Census:
            Name: Mary E. Hillery
            Estimated birth year: <1850>
            Birthplace: New York
            Relationship to head-of-household: Wife
            Home in 1880: Bridgewater, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania
            Marital status: Married
            Race: White
            Spouse's name: Richard Hillery
            Father's birthplace: IRE
            Mother's birthplace: NY
            Image Source: Year: 1880;
            Census Place: Bridgewater, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania;
            Roll: T9_1196;
            Family History Film: 1255196; Page: 61.4000; Enumeration District: 117; Image: 0124.

This shows her as having been born in 1850 and not 1840 as I've been told.
            Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              wouldnt ire mean ireland?
              Yes, but that refers to her father.

Comment

lorry53,
                Here's a copy of an email I received when enquiring about Richard Hillary standing for election.
                Sorry to report but a thorough search finds no-one of that name who was a candidate in a Parliamentary election. I checked for all reasonable variations of the name.

It is possible that "standing as a candidate" may not mean actually being nominated, as in this period it was quite common for people to begin to canvass for votes at an early stage before an election, but later drop out due to the financial expense or to the better political organization of their opponents. Their names would not appear in the election results because they had already dropped out.

The only candidate with the surname "Hillary" was Albert Ernest Hillary, who was a Liberal. Defeated at Barnard Castle in Durham in the 1918 general election, he was MP for Harwich from 1922 to 1924 when he lost his seat. There is accurate biographical information in his Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Ernest_Hillary.
                Hope this helps.
                Margaret

Comment

Hi
                  A bit more info from the 1900 US census. Richard born April 1839, emigrated in 1860, married 25 years (c1875) 8 children, 7 still living.
                  Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                    Hi
                    A bit more info from the 1900 US census. Richard born April 1839, emigrated in 1860, married 25 years (c1875) 8 children, 7 still living.
                    Moggie
                    Oh that's interesting. Lorry53 has it that he went to US in 1871.
                    Margaret

Comment

Thank you for your efforts, Margaret and Moggie, I really appreciate it. Something tells me the info I'e been given is somewhat off target!

Comment

Might be worth asking if the marriage certificate is available for Richard and Mary, that way you might see who his father was and thus able to locate him in the UK census. There are as you know some likely candidates but the Lincolnshire bit is getting in the way.
                        Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by lorry53 View Post
                          Thank you for your efforts, Margaret and Moggie, I really appreciate it. Something tells me the info I'e been given is somewhat off target!
                          Hi
                          It just might be that the "official" information is wrong. I have just found the death cert of a distant relation in America in 1940. It says he was born in Yorkshire--- wrong because he was born in Norfolk. It says his mother was Mary Ann ---wrong his mother was Elizabeth.
                          Moggie

1900 census
                          Just spotted that it says "No" in the column re Naturalization.
                          Last edited by maudarby; 31-05-09, 18:10.

Comment

Might be worth asking if the marriage certificate is available for Richard and Mary, that way you might see who his father was and thus able to locate him in the UK census. There are as you know some likely candidates but the Lincolnshire bit is getting in the way.
                            Margaret
                            I took out the Worldwide sub today, so I'll trawl it for anything else. I'm trying to find out where the info re Lincolnshire came from.

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                            Hi
                            It just might be that the "official" information is wrong. I have just found the death cert of a distant relation in America in 1940. It says he was born in Yorkshire--- wrong because he was born in Norfolk. It says his mother was Mary Ann ---wrong his mother was Elizabeth.
                            Moggie

1900 census
                            Just spotted that it says "No" in the column re Naturalization.
                            Oh joy. They don't make it easy, so they?

Comment

The marriage cert is going to be your best bet on this one I think.
                              Margaret

Comment

I think you're right, Margaret.

Comment

Working...
                                X