Loverocks of Dudley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loverocks of Dudley

Can anyone with a spare few minutes to help me find members of the Loverock family of Dudley after the 1851 census, please.

Thomas & Harriet Loverock are mistranscribed as Leverock in 1851.
    Thomas is a publican in Mill St and is 63. Harriet is 47, born Burton-on-Trent.
    They have the following children:
    Sarah, 23: Ann, 21: Hannah, 19: Betsey, 15: Emma, 12: George, 7: Thomas, 5: William, 3.

These ages do not match the 1841 census, where Thomas was 52 and Harriet 45. The girls were:
    Mary, 14: Sarah, 12: Hanah, 10: Elizbeth 8: Emma, 6: Ann, 3.

I believe Thomas snr died in 1854, and Harriet married John Webster in 1856. He died in 1858.

I can't spot Harriet under either married name in 1861. George and Thomas are with their married sister Mary (Mitchell).

In particular I am interested in Harriet, the mother, George and the girls Emma and Hannah. I think Emma married in 1859 to either Joseph Pyatt or Joseph Whitehouse, haven't check yet.

I've no interest in this family before 1851, as its Harriet's marriage to John Webster that ties them into my family.

Thanks
    Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Class: RG9; Piece: 2057; Folio: 121; Page: 45
    This is 1861 census, a Harriet Bowers is listed as a visitor with the household of emma pyatt, is this her?

Comment

Hi Helen,

Could this be Hannah's marriage?

June 1859, Stourbridge, 6c, 242

Hannah Loverlock
      Emma Cox
      Henry Coley
      James Stevens

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

If the above is her it looks like she married James Stevens.

1861 census. Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 2072; Folio: 115; Page: 23;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

George in 1871. Class: RG10; Piece: 3011; Folio: 23; Page: 5;
      Last edited by Guest; 30-05-09, 01:48.

Comment

It's looking like Harriet married for a third time after John Webster died. Here she is in 1871 in the household of her dau Mary Mitchell, widowed again.! Poor Harriet didn't have much luck with her husbands

Class: RG10; Piece: 3011; Folio: 47; Page: 11;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A possible marriage.

Sept 1859. West Bromwich, 6b, 776.

Harriet Webster on the same page Richmond Bowers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

So, I'd say we can deduce from ths info that Emma married Joseph Pyatt
        Last edited by Guest; 30-05-09, 02:12.

Comment

Thank you Tessie & Susan, I shall pursue those lines.

Originally posted by susan h View Post
          Poor Harriet didn't have much luck with her husbands
          The reason I'm interested in these 4 Loverocks only, and not the rest, is that Harriet, Emma, Hannah & George were all tried for the murder of John Webster.
          They were acquited, but they were certainly responsible, as he died blows inflicted by them. Harriet beat him with a poker and the 2 girls kicked him as he lay on the floor.
          They were tried in December 1858, having been held since August 1858. Interesting that all 3 married in 1859.
          Helen

Comment

ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh!

Comment

and john was your relly? how awful but fascinating at the same time if you know what I mean (or its just me lol)!!

Comment

Yes, Tessie it is fascinating. Beats the old consumption as a cause of death any day!

I'd had John's death cert for a while - he was my 3xGrGrandfather - and knew he'd died violently. I was just typing names into the Times Online's newspaper search and got a hit with him.
                Dudley archives sent me copies of the inquest and trial reports.

I think they got off because he didn't die straight away - took 3 days, and he was also know as being a bit free with his fists at times.

Before marrying Harriet, he'd been married to Sarah for 20 years before her death in 1852, leaving him with 2 young children and 2 adult children, the eldest being my 2xGrGrandmother who was already married.
                Sarah died of 'insanity, fever'. Several years earlier their 2 sons had been killed by a gas explosion at the mine they worked at. They were 15 and 11. Another daughter died not long before Sarah, aged only 6 weeks.
                Helen

Comment

oh what tragedy for her! hope we have helped! enjoy your researching!

Comment

You have, thank you Tessie.

I had a quick look this morning and it certainly seems right.

I noticed that Emma's husband was over 30 years older than her, so she was widowed before she turned 40.
                    Helen

Comment

Flipping heck, Helen!!!!!!!!!!

My ancestry hasn't revealed anything nearly as exciting, it's a sad tale but how interesting for a family history researcher.

Best story I've uncovered is - my ggggrandad's brother was transported to Aus for house breaking, boring compared to your story.

Comment

Well I didn't expect that - thankfully you're not related so its not in the genes!! lol

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                        X