Missing marriage details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing marriage details

I have just looked for a marriage on free bmd. Found the groom in Italics, so clicked on it. Vol. 8a pg. 83 is given and this is what they say: The volume 8a is not valid for district Ongar in the year 1857 and therefore there may be an error in the GRO index or in the transcription. Please see here for information about volumes associated with particular districts. The expected volume is 4a.
    So, I went on ancestry and found the groom it is actually 4a 83 on the image. So my question is how do i find the bride????
    Tessie

If you click on Marriages and leave the names blank, but search the correct year, Ongar, 4a 83, you may find the bride's name amongst the options shown.
    Some names are missing though.
    You could try pairing any of the name combinations in the following census, in order to find your most likely match.

You only need one person's name to be able to order a marriage certificate though.
    Last edited by Gwyn in Kent; 29-05-09, 21:24.

Comment

names? and which quarter?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Little Nell, names are Esau Childs/Childes, bride is Susan Ann/Susannah, 1857 2nd quarter.
        Thanks Gwyn, will try!

Comment

Go to free BDM, select marriages and Ognar as the district.

Then enter 1857 and quarter and search. The Dec quarter seems to be missing a groom the brides are Emma Speller and Sarah Willington so you'll have to find your groom on a later census to find which he married, what is the grooms name and I'll look.

This is how I spent last night too looking for a missing Groom!

Ignore that then, the bride missing bride is Susannah Anne Smith
          Last edited by claretaylor22; 29-05-09, 21:28.
          Clare

Comment

Ah, looking again there are two Esau's, one with Childs and another with Childes, one 8a one 4a? Can there be two with such unusual names?

Comment

My understanding of your first post was that 8a isn't a reference that can relate to that district, so the 8a is mistranscription of 4a for some reason and 4a is the correct one.

As the brides name fits under 4a 63 fo rthe right quarter looks likely you've found the right couple, and a check on later census should confirm you're thoughts but the cert is, of course, the only way to be sure
              Clare

Comment

Ah, thanks Gwyn, think I have just found her!! She is a SMITH!!!!

Comment

thanks clare!

Comment

Don't despair with the 'Smiths' My great grandmother was a Smith, and I found her from 1841 when she was born to 1936 when she died!!
                    Rita

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/.../User:Nappycat

Comment

found her with parents in 1841 census straight away! thought i might take a while, i was very happy and surprised! i see what you mean nappycat!

Comment

Working...
                      X