School Photo Forest Gate Circa WW1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Photo Forest Gate Circa WW1

At least I am assuming it is WWI? In my great grandmothers posessions. On the back is the name of a girl, and the adress 65 Field Road (G-Nan lived at 63, so assume it is a school friend/neighbour). Any ideas on what is going on here?

Richard I'm certainly not an expert but

I wonder if its a rememberance day? All the children seem to have a photograph of someone in uniform in front of them
    Barbara

Comment

This was along my thoughts Barbara, I wonder if the little girls are holding pictures of their fathers? I thought perhaps they were just away fighting, and it was a show and tell.. but yes makes sense it could be a rememberance day picture.

Comment

I don't think it's Remembrance day, the first 2 minutes silence wasn't till 1919 and the teacher looks as if she dates just a little earlier. Also the little girls at the front of the classroom are holding up photos of men who if you look hard look like officers and possibly the king. I think it's Empire Day, sometime during ww1....

Comment

That's a thought Barbara. Looking hard I suppose the picture being held by the girl on our far right could well be George V couldn't it...hard to make out for certain though.

Comment

I wonder whether it might be possible to date the photo by the girls age. The name on the back is 'Ada Binnette, 65 Field Road, Forest Gate, London, E7", as I say great gran lived at 63, so assume this girl is her friend and is in the photo somewhere. I wonder if we can find Ada on the 1911 Census?

Comment

Sadly I don't have that, but it would be very interesting if anyone did,........

Comment

Found a likely family on the 1911 Field Road, Forest Gate:

BENEETT CECELIA F 1876 35 West Ham Essex
                BENEETT ERNEST M 1871 40 West Ham Essex

BENEETT ERNEST M 1896 15 West Ham Essex
                BENEETT ALFRED M 1905 6 West Ham Essex
                BENEETT ADA F 1906 5 West Ham Essex
                BENEETT FREDERICK M 1908 3 West Ham Essex

My great gran was also born 1906, so they were same age by looks of it. Since my great gran also attended same school (Odessa Road) I'm now wondering if she is somewhere in the pic too. Anyway anyone hazard a guess at age of the girls?

Comment

Also just to clarify looking at the back of the photo it does in fact say 'Bennette' the joined up 'e' looked a bit like an 'i', so fairly sure it is same girl. Had a look for her on GR hoping I could reunite the family with the pic, but no luck.

Comment

They look about the same age as the children I worth with (8-9years) though I suppose you could add a year for children being smaller due to poorer diets. That might take it to early in WW1, pictures of fathers in the forces maybe.

Comment

Thanks Jill. You've given me a thought there, perhaps the chap in the middle is Admiral Jellicoe? Looking at the picture he definently is an offcier as he is wearing the shirt and tie, and seems to have a lot of medal clasps on his shoulder. What do you think, here is a photo of Jellicoe

I'm wondering whether this photo commemorates the Battle of Jutland 1916, or one of the earlier naval Battles? My great grans brother (other side fathers) was killed at Jutland and I remember reading the battle was widely celebrated throughout the country as a great victory at the time.

Comment

If it's the start of the war it would be Beatty I think not Jellicoe, hows about left to right, Haig, Beatty, ?, Kitchener.....?

Comment

You could be right Barbara, about it being earlier. Again going back to my other great grans brother, he was on H.M.S.Lion Beattys flagship. I know both the major battles he served in before Jutland were also celebrated back at home, Heligoland and Doggers Bank. Heligoland in particular I think, as it was only 3 weeks after the war started, and the first victory over the Germans, whilst patriotism and Jingoism still very much running high. I think you could be right too with the photos...Haig, Beatty, Kitchener. I wonder why the other girl has a book to play with?

Comment

Have had a go at scanning the pictures close up. The Kitcherner pic unfortunately didn't come out much clearer, but I think it is him, the moustache looks the same, and he has the same white topped cap he is wearing in the famous recruitment posters. The other two I think your right Barbara the one in the middle is Beatty, but the left I think is actually Sir John French. That would presumably date the photo both before June 1916 when Kitchener died, and December 1915 when Haig replaced John French. Best guess then is the photo was taken either to commemorate the outbreak of the war in 1914, or one of the two earlier naval victories at Heligoland or Doggers Bank.

Incidently great gran is there, fourth row back, fourth from right, wearing black. Must have missed her. She does look about 8 to me.

Comment

Hi Richard
                              I just wondered if a quick sharpen up would help you see the faces on the photos they are holding up better?
                              It doesn't do much for the photo itself though I'm afraid :D

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie does help a bit. I'd put my money on from left to right Sir John French, Admiral Beattie, Lord Kitchener. I think this is then probably taken 1914 or at best very early 1915. It's a shame I can't track down the little girl Ada Bennetts family,would have been nice to pass them a copy.

Comment

Working...
                                X