inquest papers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inquest papers

with inquest papers, are they likely to be held at the relevant archives?
    i have a death in 1926, from a cut hand, that resulted in septicaemia, and it was leeds, i was wondering if i could the inquest papers as the informant was the coroner, and i have the date of inquest.

Inquest papers don't always survive. Generally they are at the relevant records office. I've looked at some for 1934 at the LMA for someone else, so you shouldn't have any problems requesting photocopies.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thanx nell, i'll take a look around the yorkshire archives.

Comment

Try the local paper for that time. Certainly in the 19C they used to publish full accounts of inquests, including witness statement etc. If there is one, the local studies section in the town library probably hold archive copies of local newspapers. They should be able to send you a photocopy of the article.

Comment

Birmingham library found me the inquest I was looking for from 1902 and sent me a complete copy. I did have the date from the DC and had checked the paper extracts myself and there was nothing.

I would say the inquest is one of the most interesting pieces of documentation I have as there is a statement from the deceased wife confirming that he had left her 4 years previously and he had been living rough for the 3 nights prior to his death. It also told me what he had in his pockets when he died!
          Clare

Comment

how would i access yorkshire papers in 1926? please.

Comment

I had the same 'luck' as Clare with Birmingham. When I paid my £15 I expected a newspaper report but got the whole lot!! Well worth the money.
              Try the Yorkshire records office or equivalent.
              Rita

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/.../User:Nappycat

Comment

Working...
              X