Is Sadie short for another name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Sadie short for another name?

I know that Sadie is a name in its own right, one of my OH's granddaughters is called Sadie.

But in Scotland did they use is as a nick for another name?

It always reminds me of Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands by Bob Dylan.

Sometimes it can be short for Sandra.

Comment

I've got Sadie's that were Sarah's.
      Jay

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
        I know that Sadie is a name in its own right, one of my OH's granddaughters is called Sadie.

But in Scotland did they use is as a nick for another name?

It always reminds me of Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands by Bob Dylan.
        Maggie,

my OH's grand aunt is a Sarah, but she is known as SADIE, and she was born in Northumberland
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

my nan was always known as Sadie so I was surprised when I tried to find her birth to see she was really Susan???

Comment

My relative called Sadie was Sarah also.
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Sorry - I meant also to say that this was in Scotland in about 1928.
              I also had a work colleague in the 1980's who was sarah called Sadie.
              herky
              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Of course OH's lot have to be different.

The Sadie in his tree baptised 1879 is Mercedes. Now how did they name their daughter after a car in 1879?????????????????? lol

It was her second name as well. Her first was Mally and she went by Sadie.

Comment

My great aunt was known as Sadie but was christened Sarah Cecilia.
                  "chasing dead rellies"
                  GO STORM

Comment

Harry's Mum,

Ferdinand Porsche named his new car after the daughter of his Financier. Her name was Mercedes Jellinek. Thank goodness he used her first name. Lol
                    Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Working...
                    X