Hampshire Record Office,... Offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hampshire Record Office,... Offer

I will be in Winchester for a week soon.
    I am happy to check parish records etc. if anyone needs help.

have fun

i love going there only been 2 times
    i would go when it opens as it seem to get busy as it get to lunch time
    staff are very helpful
    and if you get bored there are load of musieam there which have not gone into much
    iibrary does not seem to have much thought

southhamton library and archive is good and near train station if you want a day out
    wye surrey/london/birmingham
    lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
    hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
    ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
    herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
    armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

I will be staying less than 10 minutes walk away from the Record Office., Can do it in 8 minutes if I'm desperate to get started....
      I have been there several times, but not since last year's ? revamp.I hope they kept the same opening hours. Between 5pm and 7 pm it is usually very quiet with few people delving in the fiche drawers, when I needed to.

I agree that Southampton also has some great resources.
      Earlier this year we were able to get a photo of OH's grandfather, off the back of his Merchant Navy record.
      Staff allowed us to photograph the postcard-sized index card, but we ordered a decent scanned picture through the archive service there too.
      Last edited by Gwyn in Kent; 29-05-09, 10:22.

Comment

Hi Gwyn,

I would love a copy of the following marriage certificate and would be able to send you the money for the cost of a print out and postage

Caroline Juliana Gregory married John Evelyn Kingston Morley in Wymering Parish Church, Wymering on the 23rd August 1853.

Thanks for your kind offer! :D

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Will do, Tom.

Comment

Thanks for your kind offer. Can you please look up some Stockbridge baptisms for me if you have the time, specifically the children of Simon Thorn. I've been given the following children but would like confirmation by getting a record of their baptisms:
            Richard bc 1802; Charles 1805; George 1806; Sarah 1810; James 1811; Henry 1814.

I'm told their mother was Elizabeth (nee Banting) - she died before the 1841 census and Simon appears with his second wife then.
            Thanks very much!
            Jenny

Comment

Gwyn, that is a kind offer.

Could you check some burials for me, please?

They are in Portsea and should be St Mary's, but the bural list doesn't specify.

James Purkis 11/8/1823 aged 62
              Catherine Purkis 15/12/1820 aged 48
              James Purkis 20/12/1835 aged 47
              Ann Purkis 20/5/1832 aged 45
              Henry Isaac Purkis infant 7/9/1832

Could you possibly photocopy the entries and let me know how much it will cost, and I'll reimburse you? I'm trying to find any extra details that might help me unravel the Purkises of Portsea!

If you come across any deaths for children of
              James and Catherine
              and
              James and Ann
              could you please note them down.

I hope this isn't too much work for you.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I see your requests, Jenny and Elizabeth.
                I will note the details from this thread nearer to the time of my visit, which will be towards the end of June.

Comment

Hello Gwyn

If this is too difficult please say so, wont be at all offended.

Three of my great grandmothers four brothers were killed in the First World War. They all joined up within the opening months of the war in 1914, the two younger together in the 'Portsmouth Pals'. Unfortunately we have no photos or anything from them in our family, but an expert on the Hampshire regiment on the 1914-1918 forum did say to me he thinks quite likely their deaths would have been covered in their local paper, especially as three from the same family died.

I have no idea how hard or easy these are to search at Hampshire Records Office, so again wont be offended if it is too hard or time consuming for you to find these, but if it is possible the adress for all three was the family home at: "Warren Side, Froxfield, nr Petersfield" so imagine any obituaries would be in the paper local to that.

These are their names, ages and dates of death:

Lewis James Pink, age 27, 17 Oct 1915 Suvla Bay, Gallipoli, Turkey
                  Herbert William Pink, age 27, 26 Sep 1917 Ypres, Belgium
                  Albert Pink, age 25, 25 Mar 1918 Arras, France

If your are able to find anything, much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

Thank you for the kind offer I'll post a request later.

Teresa

My great grandmother Sophia Louisa Weston died 9th December 1931 and was living at 15 Bunnian Place Basingstoke. Would it be possible to see if there is a burial record?
                    There only seems to be two lots of burial records available for Basingstoke at the archive in Winchester
                    Basingstoke, South View
                    Basingstoke, Worting Road
                    Last edited by Teresa; 12-06-09, 09:38.

Comment

Richard
                      I'm not sure what they have at the Records Office, but I know I have looked before at old filmed copies of The Hampshire Telegraph at the Reference Library. That is even nearer to where I will be staying, so I'll have a go at looking for you.

Comment

Thank you Gwyn, anything you may be able to find would be absolutely terrific.

Comment

Working...
                        X