Missing Groom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Groom

Is there anyway I can work out who the mssing groom is? The bride is Annie Mapstone in 1891 in Aston but only one of the grooms names is listed:(
    Clare

On freeBMD do a search for Marriage Dec 1891 ASton - no name.
    Then scroll through the list (there´s quite a few) to see if you can see an entry in italics, which usually indicates an error transcription - or look for a page reference query.

On a quick look there is one for George Albert Croft with page reference given as 5[5]5
    The 5 in the square brackets means the transcriber wasn´t sure if it was correct.
    If you look at the actual page image you might be able to decipher it.
    Elaine

Comment

Just checked that image for Croft and it does look like 555 so he is probably not your man!
      Elaine

Comment

Do you know where Annie where and roughly when Annie was born, we could try the 1901 census.

Comment

Thanks Elaine, there are two possibilities so am off too look at the census to try and match them up

PS I thought the same about Croft, Charles William Bell looks more likely.

Annie was born in Clifton in 1873, but may say Birmingham instead as they moved there shortly afterwards. I would expect them to be in B'ham in 1901 but may not be off course!
          Last edited by claretaylor22; 28-05-09, 21:12.
          Clare

Comment

I put in Annie born Clifton Warwicks and 1873 +/-5 and only got 1 match.

Annie Arton wife of John Hy (Henry?) E Arton. Could that be him?

Comment

RG13; Piece: 3010; Folio: 65; Page: 10

He's a labourer down the sewers and a lot older than her born c.1860. When you look at the original the name actually looks more like Orton than Arton.
              They have a 5 yr old daughter called Gertrude Anne, born Leicester

ancestry births has a John Henry Ernest Orton born 1859 Barrow upon Soar, Leicestershire
              Last edited by GallowayLass; 28-05-09, 21:27. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by claretaylor22 View Post
                Charles William Bell looks more likely.
                Image for Charles William Bell looks more like page 535
                Elaine

Comment

Yes I thought that too Elaine but it seems that 535 for 6d Dec 1891 has 4 names so am throughly confused!!:(

I'll have a look at that thanks Gallowaylass
                  Last edited by claretaylor22; 28-05-09, 21:37.
                  Clare

Comment

Umm - have just found those 4 names for 535.
                    Elaine

Comment

And according to 1911 Census there are a John and Catherine Sheldon in Aston who married in 1891 living in Aston!! That means it is my groom who is missing:(

Gallowaylass I have checked John Henry E Orton married in 1896 and would you believe it the ref for him isn't clear either but I think he can be ruled out as he married in Leicestershire:(
                      Clare

Comment

drat! that doesn't look so good now - I've found that a John Henry Orton married Annie Eliabeth Beale in Athersone Leicestershire 1891 and girl of that name was born 1870 in Tamworth Derbys/Staffs/Warwicks

Comment

snap LOL oh well back to the drawing board

Comment

Check out the image for Clement William Powell - transcribed as 625 but it could be 525
                            Elaine

Comment

Was going to go to bed but will do that instead!
                              Clare

Comment

There are 3 male names transcribed for 625 - but I´ve only checked Clement at the moment - haven´t checked the other two.
                                Elaine

Comment

Hmmm I've had a quick look, something is obviously wrong but not sure I've sorted out what! I'll have a look tomoro, have spent all day chasing Mapstones!! Thank you both for looking for me
                                  Clare

Comment

Possible for Clement Powell in 1891 - living in Birmingham
                                    RG12; Piece: 2380; Folio 31; Page 1
                                    - Ancestry.co.uk

Possible for Clement in 1901, using middle name of William - wife Annie born 1873 Bristol
                                    RG13; Piece: 1266; Folio: 11; Page: 14.
                                    - Ancestry.co.uk
                                    Elaine

Comment

Tree on Ancestry with Clement William Powell marrying Annie Mapstone

- Ancestry.co.uk

Elaine

Comment

That seems to fit well! Thank you!

I'm on the hunt for some second cousins once removed on this side;)

There must be some as my grandfather seems to have about 20 or so cousins from 10 aunts and uncles he never met!
                                        Clare

Comment

Working...
                                        X