1911 has brought up a puzzle, help desperately needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 has brought up a puzzle, help desperately needed please

I have just downloaded the 1911 census for my gg grandparents & was surprised to find them saying they had had 13 children of whom 3 had died. I was only aware of the 0 who had survived.
    The couple married in Barton upon Humber Lincolnshire in November 1876, they went on to have children in 1878, 79, 82,84,86,88,90,93,95 & 97. I somehow need to trace 3 missing children in between these dates Parish records will be of no help as they were Primitive Methodists & there is no sign of burials in the local churchyards so it is very likely they were buried in the town's cemetery, for which records aren't available.
    My other problem is that their parents were George & Rosehannah Smith , so they aren't easy to find.
    Can anyone help me trace the 3 missing children please?
    Lynn

It might be worth checking that none of the children are likely to have been twins by checking there are no other children with the same surname on the same page reference, then you could check against the death indexes.

When in 1878 was their first child born? This is quite a time after their marriage, so it is likely they had one before the first one you know about.
    I would them imagine that the other two (if none of them were twins) were born after the other ones because there doesn't seem to be any likely gaps.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Do you have the birth registrations for all of the children, or have you just taken the ages from the census.
      I think you need to list them all with the year and quarter of registration to see if its possible that some could have been born between the years you have listed for the other children.
      Elaine

Comment

I've got a family like that too - I can't see an easy way of doing it other than look through the deaths for that surname in that district and pick out those with likely-looking names, then order birth or death certs one by one till you get the right one. But I have given up on my family for now as there were just too many to choose from.
        Shame that North Lincs haven't put mother's maiden name on their birth index or your problem would be simple!
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

can you give us the names of the ones you have found? and census returns you have found the parents on. I cannot easliy see them only found a rosehannah with a thomas.
          GWEN

Comment

I've found them on 1881/91/01 censuses, with no probs. George was born c1856 Nettleton Lincs & RoseHannah on 1st Jan 1856 in Barton. I have the birth dates for all 10 children, from a time when the North Lincs site included the birthdates in their index.
            James Henry (g grandad) 30/8/1878
            Agnes Elizabeth 11/10/1879
            Beatrice Annie 29/11/1882
            Mary Jane 21/4/1884
            John Free 24/4/1886
            Rebecca Maud 11/1/1888
            Nora Rose 30/4/1890
            Walter Wright 13/5/1893
            Sarah Sabina 27/2/1895
            Victoria May 30/5/1897

Looking on ancestry, I haven't found any obvious candidates, although there were a couple that I found after 1901. It is a real puzzle.
            Last edited by Lynn The Forest Fan; 28-05-09, 20:22.
            Lynn

Comment

There are 3 year gaps between Agnes (1879) and Beatrice (1882) and Nora (1890) and Walter (1893).

These look the most likely to have had births in betweeen.
              Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

I have started searching the North Lincs index & have gone from 1877 to 1893 so far. It is handy as I can see which births are in Barton as they are coded BA. Some years there are more possibilities than in other, but I have found 2 likely ones. In 1881, I found the birth of a Sarah M, with a death for a Sarah Margaret in 1890. There is also a birth for a Jessie in 1883, with a corresponding death in 1888. I've also found 2 of the known children with another Smith on the next page, but I haven't checked for their deaths yet.
                Lynn

Comment

Hi Lynn,

I have a similar problem and have been following your post with interest. Have you found your missing relies yet?

My G-Grandparents were married in Salford, Lancashire in Aug 1881, and their two daughters my Grand-Aunt and Grandmother were born/registered in Salford Aug 1882 and Jun 1885.

On the 1891 and 1901 census it only shows my G-Grandparents Thomas & Sarah Sullivan and their two daughters’ Nellie and Carrie. They had moved to the Smethwick, Birmingham area sometime prior to the 1891 census. The Registration District for Smethwick was Kings Norton.

On the 1911 census it shows that they were still living in Smethwick and that there were 4 children born alive with 2 still living and 2 that had died. Thomas died shortly after the 1911 census age 73.

Do you think it’s worth searching any districts other than Salford and Kings Norton?

Thanks
                  Malcolm
                  Last edited by MalcolmES; 30-05-09, 23:37.

Comment

Lynn,

have you tried on this site??

BMD Registers: The Official Non-Parochial BMDs Service

it hosts::

Non-Conformist Records
                    Methodists, Wesleyans, Baptists, Independents, Protestant Dissenters, Congregationalist, Presbyterians, Unitarians, Quakers (Society of Friends), Dissenters and Russian Orthodox. Maternity Records plus various other BMD records.

I have found some of mine on there and it 'really' helped me
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Malcolm, I think I've found 2 but it is hard to be sure without getting the certs & I can't afford to get them at the present time. As regards your problem, it is hard to tell whether it would be a good idea to look at other districts. Mine stayed in the same town all the time, which makes searching a lot easier.

Thanks Julie, I've not really looked there before, but will give it a go thanks

Just checked that site & they don't seem to cover Barton at all :(
                      Last edited by Lynn The Forest Fan; 31-05-09, 09:02.
                      Lynn

Comment

Working...
                      X