My elusive grandmother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My elusive grandmother

Have spent the best part of the day trying to find the death of my grandmother in Nottinghamshire, as I discovered that the certificate I sent for wasn't for my grandmother (1921 QS 7b 273), even though they have the same name and from the list I expected it to be her. I was hoping that someone on here may have more success.

She was born Helen Jane Brown 1879 Q3 Poplar, G London

She married William Charles Thomson (my grandfather born 1876 in Newark) 1899 Q2 in Nottingham. I haven't been able to find her death (apart from the wrong one, though its possible she could be a relative I haven't worked out the relationship yet). MTIA My uncle wasn't born until 1915, so we know it would be after then. They had three children, Annie, Edward and William, all of which I can say with certainty are dead.
    Last edited by LorraineJ; 28-05-09, 16:54.

do you know roughly when she died or how old she was? also have you looked on the 1911 census to check the ages of the children and was your uncle the youngest?
    Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 28-05-09, 17:55.
    GWEN

Comment

just a few questions,

do you have her on the 1911 census?? and do you know where and when the last child was born.

I presume that they are in Nottm in 1901?

1901 for ref

Last edited by Darksecretz; 28-05-09, 18:13.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Right,

there is a Helen Thomson on the 1911 with a William living with her, gives her YOB as 1879 and is in Nottm, in the search criteria it doesn't state whether born in london or not.
        Julie

Comment

Hi

Here is the 1911 print out summary

Thomson
          William Married M 34 Traveller retail beer trade Notts Newark

Thomson
          Helen M 11F 32 London Borough

Thomson
          Annie Daughter F 9 Nottingham

Thomson
          Edward Son M 7 Nottingham

As far as I know William Jnr was born in 1915 and there were no other children. My Mum doesn't have a clue when she died, as by the time she came on the scene her FiL was widower.

The print out I found that I assume is my grandmother is:

Helen Brown Thomson
          Jul Aug Sept
          Poplar
          Greater London
          1c
          734 - would this be sufficient for the GRO to give me a certificate?
          Last edited by LorraineJ; 28-05-09, 18:46.

Comment

ok so when did your mum come on the scene?? this will give us a window, to work with.
            Julie

Comment

My parents got married in 1950, so she would have died before then.

Comment

The birth details you have posted up don't seem to match the info in your first post - was her name Thomson before she married a Thomson, or should her name be Helen Jane Brown on the birth entry?
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
                  Hi

The print out I found that I assume is my grandmother is:

Helen Brown Thomson
                  Jul Aug Sept
                  Poplar
                  Greater London
                  1c
                  I cannot see this as being her, tbh, if this is her birth why would she have Thomson as her maiden name??

sorry to put a damper on things :o
                  Julie

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                    The birth details you have posted up don't seem to match the info in your first post - was her name Thomson before she married a Thomson, or should her name be Helen Jane Brown on the birth entry?
                    No she was a Helen J Brown, daughter of Enoch & Annie Brown. Sorry to have confused you.

Comment

Helen Jane Brown
                      Yr: 1879
                      Q: Apr-May-Jun
                      Dist: Shoreditch
                      County: London, Middlesex
                      Vol: 1c
                      Pg: 41
                      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                        I cannot see this as being her, tbh, if this is her birth why would she have Thomson as her maiden name??

sorry to put a damper on things :o
                        She was definitely born Helen Jane Brown and married a William Charles Thomson. Edward was my father and was known to most people as Richard (work that one out)

Comment

She was definitely born Helen Jane Brown and married a William Charles Thomson. Edward was my father and was known to most people as Richard (work that one out)
                          Sorry am confused now, you said

"The print out I found that I assume is my grandmother is:

Helen Brown Thomson
                          Jul Aug Sept
                          Poplar
                          Greater London
                          1c

I was replying that the ref above couldnt be your gran because of the names

Julie

Comment

I get confused quite easily, all by myself

Have taken note of your reference as I think thats the one I need to get the birth certificate. Would you be kind enough to double check the marriage one for me, as I can't afford anymore mistakes?

If you can find her death too, that would be wonderful.

Comment

The trouble is with looking for the death, that there are so many years you would have to trawl through.
                              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

May sound a stupid question but I was looking for Helen J/Jane Thomson and have looked right through to the indexes for Thompson too, just incase the P has been popped in. Is this right.

Should I look onwards from where the later deaths start as I have looked through the BMDs without success.

Comment

Helen Jane Thomson

Hiya
                                  What part of Nottingham did your grandparents live in.
                                  Hopefully she is buried in one of these two below.
                                  When did your grandfather die, is she buried near by him?

The Church Cemetery was first opened in 1856 and is referred to as The Rock Cemetery by local people because of the sandstone rocks and caves on which it is built. It is considered to be by far the most attractive cemetery. Situated on the junction of Forest Road and Mansfield Road, the cemetery adjoins the Forest Recreation Ground which once formed the start of the great Sherwood Forest of the Robin Hood tales. The cemetery itself covers about 13 acres of land and the entrance is about a mile from the city centre, on the main Mansfield Road, just opposite St. Andrew's Church.

Other Cemetery
                                  1900 October 1st
                                  Public Parks and Burial Grounds Committee submit plans for the new Cemetery at Bulwell in Hempshill Lane. Cost of layout and buildings estimated at £12,000. Agreed

[The Cemetery on Hempshill Lane, Bulwell is known as the Northern Cemetery and was opened in 1903. The cemetery gates, offices and improvements to Hempshill Lane cost £10,130]

If you contact Nottingham city council i wonder if like other places they have the record of a burial plot for Helen Jane Thomson.

I think your best bet is this site below:
                                  NOTTINGHAM

The only other one i have come up with but born about 1875.
                                  Deaths Sep 1931
                                  Thomson Helen J 56 Carlisle 10b 518
                                  Next: Why do you think she died in/around 1920's. If last child born 1915 & she died 1923, then he was only 8 yrs of age. In those days most Widower/widow remarried because they needed children to be looked after.
                                  I would look towards 1930's-40.
                                  Will keep looking for you.
                                  All the best
                                  tugman

Comment

May sound a stupid question but I was looking for Helen J/Jane Thomson and have looked right through to the indexes for Thompson too, just incase the P has been popped in. Is this right.

Should I look onwards from where the later deaths start as I have looked through the BMDs without success.

Thats the correct way to look with Thomson and Thompson in the deaths.

did you try Tomson? and did you check for a re marriage? (she might have re married, and he said she was dead and he was saving face)?
                                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by tugman View Post
                                      Hiya
                                      What part of Nottingham did your grandparents live in.
                                      Hopefully she is buried in one of these two below.
                                      When did your grandfather die, is she buried near by him?

The Church Cemetery was first opened in 1856 and is referred to as The Rock Cemetery by local people because of the sandstone rocks and caves on which it is built. It is considered to be by far the most attractive cemetery. Situated on the junction of Forest Road and Mansfield Road, the cemetery adjoins the Forest Recreation Ground which once formed the start of the great Sherwood Forest of the Robin Hood tales. The cemetery itself covers about 13 acres of land and the entrance is about a mile from the city centre, on the main Mansfield Road, just opposite St. Andrew's Church.

Other Cemetery
                                      1900 October 1st
                                      Public Parks and Burial Grounds Committee submit plans for the new Cemetery at Bulwell in Hempshill Lane. Cost of layout and buildings estimated at £12,000. Agreed

[The Cemetery on Hempshill Lane, Bulwell is known as the Northern Cemetery and was opened in 1903. The cemetery gates, offices and improvements to Hempshill Lane cost £10,130]

If you contact Nottingham city council i wonder if like other places they have the record of a burial plot for Helen Jane Thomson.

I think your best bet is this site below:
                                      NOTTINGHAM

The only other one i have come up with but born about 1875.
                                      Deaths Sep 1931
                                      Thomson Helen J 56 Carlisle 10b 518
                                      Next: Why do you think she died in/around 1920's. If last child born 1915 & she died 1923, then he was only 8 yrs of age. In those days most Widower/widow remarried because they needed children to be looked after.
                                      I would look towards 1930's-40.
                                      Will keep looking for you.
                                      All the best
                                      tugman

Hi

In 1911 they were living at 108 Sycamore Road, Nottingham.

Thing is, my Dad was a bit wild as a boy and therefore told the rest of the family very little. I gather that when he was 14, his parents couldn't do a thing with him and sent him to live with a family that managed a childrens home. He made a good friendship with the couple's son, trusted him, they went into business together and the ***** fleeced him out of every penny my Dad had.
                                      Last edited by LorraineJ; 28-05-09, 21:13.

Comment

And we have BINGO I think

I have found a Helen J Thomson who died registered in Nottingham 1949 - Apr/May/Jun 3c 375

Do you think this is her, certainly the age works out right date wise. Bit of a surprise her dying so late.

Comment

Working...
                                        X