Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will parish records tell me?

Hi

Im going to go to the LDS and get the parish records for one parish, as the names i am looking at are fairly common how will i know that i am looking at the right ones? Its the 18th century and i know that fathers names were not on marriage details then, so how will i know?
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Some records really give you no information at all, but you really cannot tell until you have looked.
    There may be cousins baptised with the same name, but one dies as an infant, and his parents given. In Norfolk at a certain period, parents names are noted on burials, even for old men. The witnesses to a marriage may suggest one family rather than another. The banns or the marriage itself may note the parish where the groom is from.
    You need to look at all the available records and photocopy or note exactly each entry.
    Often you cannot prove a pedigree by parish registers alone, but additional records - poor law, wills, manorial documents, land tax assessments, gravestones etc will give extra clues to help piece the picture together.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

You'll probably find you need to do min-trees - extract EVERY entry for your Bloggs family, not just your direct Bloggs ancestors.

When you get home, see if you can put them roughly into family groups and see where that taked you. You will probably have quite a few spares to start with, but as Phoenix said, you can then use other resources to match them up - gravestone inscriptions are invaluable for this sort of exercise.

Don't be too sure you won't find fathers names on marriage records - I often find them, and the witnesses often help to sort one George from another. Plus the little marginal comments often help..George the shoemaker is obviously not George the farmer and George the shoemaker is PROBABLY son of James the shoemaker, not James the farmer, lol.

OC

Comment

Working...
      X