Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were cousins allowed to marry?

Hi

im trying to trace some distant grandparents via Familysearch at the moment and think i may have found a link (not yet checked out though) but i believe the bride and grooms mothers were sisters. This is in the 1750's, would this been allowed to take place?

Many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

The short answer is yes.

It has always been legal for cousins to marry.

I think there is a list of "forbidden marriages" in the wiki somewhere :D

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Excellent thanks. I thought so but can never remember who can and cant as they seem to change so much!
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Robyne,

this might help

Forbidden Marriages - Family Tree Forum
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

it's a widespread myth that cousins weren't allowed to marry. They always have been and I have many instances in my tree, including a couple whose fathers were brothers and whose mothers were sisters, so they were doubly cousins.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

A full list of prohibitions due to consanguinity and affinity from biblical times to the present day is available on my website at
            Consanguinity

Note prohibited relationships changed throughout the ages, what was wrong at one time was often acceptable at a later date.
            Cheers
            Guy
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
            X