• Importing a gedcom ?

How do I import a gedcom onto family tree maker please. xxhugxx

Which version of FTM are you using?
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine 3.01 with upgrade to version 9.0 quite old lol xxhugxx

Comment

Ooh, that is an old one!

Difficult to say without having access to the program.
        Do you have FILE top left of screen - with OPEN on the drop down option.
        If so select OPEN and find the gedcom file on your computer - it should just open it - you might get an option to rename it.
        Elaine

Comment

Elaine I will investigate and report back, the gedcome is coming to me by email so not yet on my pc, when it arrives I will put it on desktop so that I know where it is. xxhugxx

Comment

Might be FILE / OPEN FAMILY FILE

You may then get a box asking what fields you want to import - I would select them all.

Let me know how you get on!
            Elaine

Comment

The 'open' options are open family file or open saved view xxhugxx

Comment

The other way of doing it is to right click on the gedcom file, and select OPEN WITH - then select Family Tree Maker.

It´s not the best way of doing it as you may end up with FTM files all over your desktop - so try the FILE/OPEN method first.
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Lindy Tumblethump View Post
                  The 'open' options are open family file or open saved view xxhugxx
                  OPEN FAMILY FILE
                  (I found that on some instructions for version 6, so hopefully the same for version 9)
                  Elaine

Comment

Ok will do if I have problems when it arrives I will shout, I am now off to look on ftf to see how to import my gedcom onto the site about time there were more Fleetwoods on there, one of those getting round to it things. xxhugxx

Comment

Fairly sure that if FTM is the only genie program you have installed on your PC then all you need to do is to save the gedcom file to your desktop and double click it, it will open in FTM automatically.
                      Best Wishes
                      Ron
                      www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Instructions here if you need it:
                        How to Upload a GEDCOM - Family Tree Forum
                        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Genealogy Printers View Post
                          Fairly sure that if FTM is the only genie program you have installed on your PC then all you need to do is to save the gedcom file to your desktop and double click it, it will open in FTM automatically.
                          I am sure you are right Ron, but if you do it that way you will probably end up with FTM files on the desktop. By opening the gedcom from FILE/OPEN FAMILY FILE, then the FTW files will be stored in your normal FTM folder, rather than desktop.
                          Elaine

Comment

lol I am now confused, email has arrived with gedcom on and I cannot even work out how to save that !!! Tried importing my gedcom but I go through the instructions click upload gedcom then I just get a page that says upload gedcom, I know it is me rather than the system I am absolutely useless as anything technical hence my Fleetwoods sitting on my pc rather than where they should be which is on here !!!! anyway I will persist xxhugxx

Comment

When I try to upload my gedcom onto the site it goes through the motions then leaves me with a page 'Gedcom Uploader' with done at the bottom but nothing to click xxhugxx

Comment

Re the email.
                                I presume the gedcom is an attachment on the email - right click on the attachment and you should get an option to save it - save it to your desktop.
                                Then go to FTM - FILE / OPEN FAMILY FILE

Re uploading gedcom to here.
                                First thing you need to do is to export your own gedcom file from FTM - have you done that? Do you know where you have saved it - probably easiest place is desktop.
                                Click on GEDCOM on blue navbar - select search/upload GEDCOM
                                Scroll down to Type (or select) Filename: - click on BROWSE to the right of the filename box - find your GEDCOM file on your computer - double click it - select UPLOAD FILE

You should then get a page which tells you how many names have been added to database.
                                Elaine

Comment

Elaine I am going to have to read all through this again in the morning when my brain is fresher otherwise goodness only knows what I will upload, I will come back and re read all the instructions, thank you so very much xxhugxx

Comment

If you get stuck then let me know.
                                    Elaine

Comment

Woooooooooooooooooooooo I think I did it !!!!!! Fleetwoods are now on board does look small with all those later ones removed lol xxhugxx

Comment

Wasn´t difficult - was it!
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X