cause of death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cause of death

I belong to a group researching the Clifford family from Stow on the Wold. One of the members produces a monthly newsletter with bits and pieces members have found.

A querry from this month was a death certificate giving cause of death for 1874 as the King's evil. I have come across this as scorfula in 17th century but never as late as this. I think a touch from the monarch was suposed to cure it. Also hints that it might have been leprosy but does any one have any other thoughts I can pass on.
    Anne

Scrofula is a sort of tuberculosis, it seems to show as growths on the neck, I don't think leprosy does that? It's very interesting that it's referred to as the kings evil, very late for that kind of thing, I can't see Queen Victoria wanting to touch anyone suffering from that......

Comment

1874 the King's evil??? Sounds rather backward to me. It was applied to scrofula - maybe the chap filling in the cert couldn't spell it!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks. I don't think I would want to touch it either and I have got letters after my name!
        Anne

Comment

Working...
        X