question about a re marriage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about a re marriage.

If a widow re marries, is it usual to use her maiden name when marrying for the second time?

I am talking about a marriage in 1857

Lesley

I think that you can use either name when you re-marry, however it would have been more usual(I think) to have got married in the previous married name.

Someone else will no doubt come along and correct me if I'm wrong.
    Barbara

Comment

It's a modern idea to revert to maiden name after you divorce, but many women don't. Most widows keep their married name, no reason why they wouldn't.

I have never found a widow marrying under her maiden name in my research. I would imagine the only time a woman would have reverted to her maiden name is if the marriage proved to be illegal and therefore she wasn't entitled to a married name.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for reply Barbara.......was hoping she got re married in her maiden name. Think I will have to take a chance and send for the marriage cert. to confirm one way or the other.

Lesley

Comment

Looks like we posted at the same time, Little Nell.

This one is proving tricky.....like I said, will have to send for the marriage cert.

Thanks for replying
          Lesley

Comment

Before you cough up £7 can you see this couple in 1861 and does the wife look like the person you are tracing?

Comment

Nell, on the 1861 she is with her father, a widower, 3 children and is listed as a seamans wife! I wonder if it would be cheaper to download the seamans record on N.Archives. I have found a possible match on there.

Do you know if the record would show the wifes name as next of kin?

Comment

I don't know but it might. If you are sure she is the same woman (and as she is with her father it would seem so) post details.

Maybe she had her married name and her maiden name on the marriage cert and was wrongly indexed?

Comment

What I have is Rebecca Carr b.1831c in Alverstoke Gosport married on 4/3/1851 to Alfred Martin OFA. In 1852 they had one daughter Emily.
                  Alfred died in 1854. The only marriage I can find to my relative Thomas Taylor, is Rebecca Carr in 1857. Hence my question about using a maiden name on a second marriage cert. Also, on the 1861 census are three children now Emily Taylor age 9, Thomas age 3 and Sarah age 4. It looks possible that Emily has taken on the new name of Taylor and not Martin which she was registered in.
                  What is confusing me is that Rebecca's father is shown as William in 1851 and as Thomas in 1861!!

Not very good at explaining what I want to say. Must admit I think I have the right person, just want a second opinion really.

Lesley

Comment

There is one Rebecca of the right age on the 1841 census. What family group is she with?
                    On Familysearch, her parents are shown as Thomas & Sarah. She has siblings Alfred & Sarah Ann.
                    Who are the witnesses to the first wedding?
                    Phoenix - with charred feathers
                    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I have a girl in my family who marries a seaman in Portsmouth c 1840. They are together, under his name, in 1841. In 1845 she remarries as a spinster. But in that instance, I think she was deserted and had returned to live under her father's roof. If you came to the marriage with a child, you were more likely to use your married name, but in somewhere as populous as Portsmouth, people were unlikely to notice. (Or it may just be that the question was poorly phrased.)
                      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I wonder if there were cousins? I can't see that Thomas & Sarah would become William & Rebecca, but it is feasible that you call a daughter after your brother's wife.

Where do you live, Lesley? If there is any way you can look at the parish registers for Alverstoke, particularly the burials, I would do so. If you are not in Hampshire, a LDS Library should be able to get the films for you.

Comment

Phoenix. The witnesses to Rebecca and Alfreds marriage were Isabella Brown and ? Buxey. I am in Gosport and was able to have a quick look yesterday at the marriage cert but not able to print it out as the only decent Microfiche was in use. I had to practically stand on my head to view the one I needed. Will go back another day to have a better look and to check the burial record of Alfred. I think I really need the marriage cert.of Rebecca to Thomas Taylor to finally confirm Rebecca's fathers name. It doesn't take much to confuse me and I am confused!!
                          Thanks for your replies. Lesley
                          Last edited by Punchs mum; 27-05-09, 19:26.

Comment

I don't know where Hants RO is but if you can get there, you can look at the Thomas TAYLOR/Rebecca CARR cert. too. The IGI has it as an extracted record for St Thomas Portsmouth.
                            Glen

Comment

Glen. Thinking about it, I could go to Portsmouth Records office! They should have it there and it would be cheaper than ordering a cert.and easy for me to get to. Just a ferry boat ride away!

Doh! Why didn't I think of that!
                              Lesley

Comment

The IGI coverage is brilliant for St Thomas. Check the other Carr marriages on it and look them up too, in case they suggest any other lines of enquiry. I reckon that there were two girls born at the same time (ish) who were first cousins and one slips under the radar, perhaps because of an Ancestry transcription.

*Trying not to go green with jealousy that you can actually visit Portsmouth RO!*

Comment

Phoenix, I think You may be right re there being 2 Rebecca Carrs born around the same time.

I have only been to the RO in Portsmouth once before and did not find them 'very friendly'! I will have to sort out what I need to look up and make another trip though.

I assume the fact that you have 'gone green 'that you have Ancesters in Pompey then!!!
                                  When I do go I will let you know.If I can help I will.

Lesley

Comment

Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
                                    Phoenix. The witnesses to Rebecca and Alfreds marriage were Isabella Brown and ? Buxey. I am in Gosport and was able to have a quick look yesterday at the marriage cert but not able to print it out as the only decent Microfiche was in use. I had to practically stand on my head to view the one I needed. Will go back another day to have a better look and to check the burial record of Alfred. I think I really need the marriage cert.of Rebecca to Thomas Taylor to finally confirm Rebecca's fathers name. It doesn't take much to confuse me and I am confused!!
                                    Thanks for your replies. Lesley
                                    Hello Lesley

Just did a search about names I am researching and came across your post from a couple of years ago mentioniong the names Brown and Buxey. You have given me some help with Brown/es in Alverstoke registration area, but I am wondering whether you ended up getting the printout or certificate of Rebecca and Alfred's marriage and were able to decipher the christian name of the person named Buxey?

Kind regards
                                    hscott21c

Searching: Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e & Jannaway - Hampshire.

Comment

Working...
                                    X