IGI query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGI query

Has anyome come across this before please?

I have a Mary Geeson christened 14 Nov 1783 at St Guthlake in Stathern Leicestershire

Parents are John Town and Alice Geeson

Under where it says its an extracted entry it says,

This information was generated from another entry that appears in this index. Look for another entry for this person.

I have looked for another entry, but no luck

Sylvia
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

I have seen this once or twice. And like you, I've never found a matching entry. As a secondary source it's only slightly more helpful than a submitted entry.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Can't see anything at all. But I do wonder, in view of the fact that she was illegitimate, whether they intended to record her under her father's name. Or if she died, and the information came from her burial.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

With Mary having the Geeson name, she must be illigitimate, so i looked for a Mary Town as well, no luck there either.

And i think Alice Geeson married a Thomas Cooper in 1888, their 6th child was Mary, but baptised in Burton Lazars

Sylvia
        Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham

Comment

Thats an idea Phoenix, will look for a burial for her

Thank you all

Sylvia
          Sylvia

Comment

Typical family history problem.
            I looked on my fiche of the original parish registers for Stathern and that entry is one of the "faded" entries which are difficult to read.
            What I can make out is

12 Mary Dr. of John .... & Alice Geeson .... Novr. 14

The words replaced with dots are very faded.
            I think (but am not 100% certain) the first is Town and the second is Spurious.

If this is correct then the baby was illegitimate.
            Cheers
            Guy
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thank you for that Guy, would you have the marriages for St Guthlake, i have been trying to work out if this is the same Alice Geeson that married Thomas Cooper on Jan 9 1788 with the name Geezing. was wondering if the witnesses may give a clue.

Sylvia
              Sylvia

Comment

Sylvia.

I have one as well. David Benone KIRKBY born 1759.
                The record is extracted as has father....David Kirkby, mother....Mrs Rigge.

The father was David Kirkby (OH's 5x great grandfather) and the mother was Mary Rigge, however she was not married.
                David refused to marry her and she died a year later apparently of a broken heart. David went on to marry Agatha Sawrey in 1762.

William Wordsworth wrote his first ballad about the death of Mary Rigge.

Comment

Libby,

I have been trying to find Thomas Coopers marriage for about 18 months, he is my 3x great grandfather and is listed as the father on my 2x gt grandmothers (his daughter)first childs baptism (before she married) as a gentheman, i have just recieved his death cert ( 1848) and he was a Ag Lab. This child is baptised as a Cooper and then when Ann marries 2 years later becomes a Underwood

I often wonder if he was the father or helping his daughter save face, maybe the vicar misunderstood when she said this is my father.

Sylvia
                  Sylvia

Comment

Sylvia....

I can't quite work out who becomes the Underwood.

Does Mary, daughter of Alice Geeson become a Cooper???

I'd say having Thomas as the father on his grandchild's baptism is either just a mistake or there is another Thomas Cooper. What's on the birth cert???

Have you found any orders for maintenance againts John Town???? OR even found him later??

Comment

Sorry libby.

Thomas Cooper and Alice Geeson/Geezing married in 1788, Alice dies in 1805, their youngest daughter Ann had a child Isaac 2 years before she married James Underwood in 1828, Thomas Cooper was named as the father on Isaac Cooper`s baptism. Isaac becomes a Underwood after Ann marries

It took me a while to figure that one out, as i could find the other childrens baptisms for James and Ann Underwood but not Isaacs, it was thanks to someone on GR whe had the parish records

Sylvia
                      Last edited by Ozzie Gert; 28-05-09, 10:54.
                      Sylvia

Comment

I have digressed from my original question about Mary Geeson, but it was trying to figure out if this Alice Geeson was the one that married Thomas Cooper, i found the baptism of Mary

Sylvia
                        Sylvia

Comment

The Stathern Marriage Register states –

Thomas Cooper of the Parish of Harby and Alice Geezing of this parish were married in this church by licence this 9th day of January in the Year One Thousand Seven Hundred and Eighty Eight by me George Crabbe [Curate]

Thomas Cooper signed
                          Alice Geezing made a mark

Witnesses Robert Hoe & Thos Goodwin (both signed).

Cheers
                          Guy
                          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thank you for looking Guy, those witnesses don`t help at all, unless i can find they are related somehow,

Sylvia
                            Sylvia

Comment

Working...
                            X