Whitsuntide Fashions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitsuntide Fashions!

Did anyone else, like me, have new clothes at Whitsuntide? This photo is from 1960. Would someone be able to clean and recolour it please? I remember that our blazers were navy blue with red, yellow and white stripes and brass buttons and we had white pleated skirts. Can't remember what my younger sister's dress was like though (and neither can she!), but probably white.
    Joy

That was a hard one Joy. The blazers were very hard to get the stripes to show up!

Hope it's OK.

Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Well, Wendy I take my hat off to you! I'm really sorry they were so difficult, but you have done a marvellous job - thank you so much!
      Joy

Comment

Oh I remember new clothes at Whitsun, and the little lacy gloves and sometimes a hat, and being given money when rellies and neighbours saw you in your new clothes, mum didn't approve of me taking it but I still managed...:D

Comment

Did you go on the Whitsun parades as well - processing through the streets with the Sunday School band and gathering in the park for a good sing?
          Joy

Comment

I never went on a Whitsun parade, sounds great I would have loved it in me best gear......:D

Comment

There was 3 girls in our family of 5 , we used to get proper excited as we broke up from school, we'ed be off to shops before all best dress's go ...as my mum would say...and get kitted out head to toe.
              They were your best clothes for sunday school, parties and visiting granparents ect,
              Lovely memories .edi.x.

Comment

I have a picture of my mother and her two sisters all dressed alike in new clothes parading through the streets with the rest of their Sunday school at Whitsuntide in the 1930's.
                CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

yes my mum had 8 girls and 5 boys,we always got new clothes then we used to go round our rllies showing them and they would give us some money which we kept,at the time it seemed ok but thinking back now i dont know why?i lived in leeds yorkshire.brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                  X