Is there a way to find an address ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to find an address ?

On a MC I have the address is shown as 'this parish'. Is there a way of finding the proper address of the bride and groom?

Many thanks
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Some vicars were just mean souls, with no thought for family historians. Croydon vicars, even when the place was built up, provided no useful information. My rural ancestors rarely have more than the village name on any certs.

Period is all. If you can find the family on preceding & subsequent censuses, you may be able to work out the family home, even without an address, if they stayed in the same place by looking at the other families & working forwards until you do find some addresses. I have established where some ancestors lived by working right forwards to the Valuation Act records of 1911 and getting a house description and the corresponding map.

In a town, there may be a street directory. In the country a tithe map, land tax assessment, manorial records.

But a lot of our ancestors moved frequently, in areas where formal addresses were not introduced until the 1870s or later and we will never know exactly where they were (and in Norfolk, their homes were so ruinous that they simply will not have survived.)
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks Phoenix. I've tried the census, but can't find the family at the moment. Will keep looking. I was hoping someone might say, 'yeah, they keep the full address with the banns etc' LOL. Silly me thinking it would be that simple.
      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

banns will just give which parish

very early certs just give a place and even in the early 20th century I have certs with the address "8, The Village".

What period and area are you looking in? Tithes maps could help.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

House numbers/names were a novelty in some rural areas until relatively recently. The impetus for identifying properties came from the Post Office.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
            banns will just give which parish

very early certs just give a place and even in the early 20th century I have certs with the address "8, The Village".

What period and area are you looking in? Tithes maps could help.
            Hi Nell, it is 1872. Pairsh of St.John, Newcastle upon Tyne.

I don't know what tithe maps are?! Still learning the ropes where ft research is concerned.
            Jules

Comment

Even if you do find the address it may not help. "Of this parish" simply meant the person gave an address in the parish covering the three weeks of the banns.
              It does not necessarily mean he/she lived there permanently.
              Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
              X