Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great military response

Hi

I emailed someone in the Derby Museum with reference to my gg grandfather and his time in the Lancers. I didnt give him his name as i just wanted general information, but he has sent me a really great email telling me all about what the Lancers were up to and how he would have been involved.

Below is what he has said, but im sure he would be able to help with many other enquiries. I found him via Google searching for the Lancers.

You didn’t give me your grandfather’s name, but I guess you wanted more general things. Fully enlisted soldiers were expected to serve 7 or 8 years ‘in front of the colours’ then a similar period as a reservist, sometime attached to a local yeomanry or similar – the Lancers of the Line, like the later WW1 Corps of Lancers was a reservist unit that may not have existed as a separate regiment as such (living together for example) but as a paper administrative regiment from which replacements could be drawn at time of need, or sent in small groups. Reservists in the Victorian period were like today’s TA, but very part-time, some didn’t have to do anything, but just had to be available to be called up at any time.

The 12th Lancers were in Edinburgh in 1893 -95, then Glasgow in 1895 before moving to Ireland by the end of the year. 1898/9 saw them in Aldershot and then 1899 to 1902 in South Africa as part of the Boer War. They moved to India in 1902/3 and came back to South Africa in 1910.

So in 1902 when he went to Ireland, the regiment was in India (or just leaving South Africa) so he went to Ireland on his own accord. By then his duty to serve as a formal reservist would have been up (8 years from 1893) and he may have just signed up again for fun or lack of anything else to do – even to get away from family – it was not unheard of. He certainly would not have been required to by the military system of the time.
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

That was a great result Robyne - sometimes you just win one don't you?
    Well done

Comment

he was really nice. i have sent him a photo of my gg grandad in him uniform to see if he can confirm the uniform and also his name (in case anything crops up)
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

What a nice man, that's loads of information.............

Comment

Working...
        X