Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do not give up looking for people on the census.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do not give up looking for people on the census.

For 6 years I have searched for my Gt. Grandfather Daniel Brewerton 1840 born in Hawarden Flintshire on the 1871 & 1891 censuses.
    Going by a death cert. where he was the informant, I did an address search on FMP on the 1891 and there he was.
    The page is missing on ancestry.
    I decided to re hunt for him on FMP and searching for all the details gave nothing. I then searched for everyone born in 1841 plus and minus 2 and there he was again.
    As Daniel Brewerton but not born Hawarden.
    When I viewed the image it was the worst that I have seen.
    By magnifying to 150 I managed to make out that he was living with his mother and a servant called Mary Crow.
    Great news re Mary Crow because on the 1891/1901/1911 Daniel has 2 sons.
    On the 1881, years ago, I had found who appeared to be the 2 sons living with a Mary Crow and she was my best guess.
    So a hugh brick wall broken!!
    I checked on ancestry 1871 with the reference number and they have him as William Norton 1824.
    No wonder I could not find him
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

How on earth did they manage to get him as William Norton? There's hope for the rest us then. Off I go again searching for my missing people...
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement Jeanie - I have just about given up with one of my families, but I shall now keep searching, working on the premise that they must be there somewhere!!

Congratulations on your find - now you can move onwards

Comment

Thanks Jeanie ...... that's given me a second wind .... here goes..
        Jean

sorry Jeanie ..... gave you two 'ns'
        Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

I had a thread on here in desperation a few days ago, and a dogged lady (Sabrina) found my missing Innes family on several censuses. Variously transcribed as Jones, Janes, and Turner. The only common denominator with Innes is the n and the e.!
          Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Hi Jeanie,

Well done you!
            Was your Daniel in Flintshire or had he moved from his place of birth?
            I only ask as I'm missing a few from that area

Allie x
            Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Richards in Denbighshire.

Comment

Hi Allie,
              He moved to Brimingham.
              Who are you missing?
              Jeanie
              Searching for:
              English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

I'm missing Sarah Howell(s)
                She was born 1826 ( she gives several places of birth just to make matters worse but the most common is Lancashire) and spent most of her adult life in Shropshire. In 1891 and 1911 I cannot find her grrr

She died in 1917 in Llandysilio in Montgomeryshire. I have a hunch that she may have ventured into Flintshire as its close to Welshampton where she lived for many years.
                I've searched and search lol

I'm begining to think that because she was living with relatives, they missed to include her on the census.
                Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Richards in Denbighshire.

Comment

I agree you must never give up with your break walls always go back to them as they will work out in the end. Only last month I broke one of mine with the help of Merry and Laura the explorer it took us all afternoon but we got there in the end. I was missing David Burwash from the 1851 census they are usually easy to find because of the unusual name. I tried every spelling alternative I know on Ancestry but to no avail and tried searched using every member of his family. It was not until I searched the Genealogist site that I found him. I then had to find him on Ancestry fortunately I noticed that they had a servant living with them just plain Ann Ford so I used her name to look on Ancestry and there he was Davis Karwosk and all his Karwosk's !!!!
                  How did they manage that name from David Burwash?
                  I always look on other sites now if I cannot find some of my anomolies.
                  GWEN

Comment

Hi Allie,
                    I take it you have seen the 2 in Shropshire in FMP?
                    Many thanks for everyones contributions.
                    Searching for:

Comment

Perhaps you have given me fresh hope but I doubt it I have been looking for a William Pool (e) born Haverhill in 1831 have him on the 1841 census and again his marriage in 1871 and on the 1881 census but I can't find on the 1851 to 1871 census at all. I also can't find a death for him I know he died between 1882 and 1891 but after 7 years of looking and a few wrong certificates I have given up hope.

Margaret

Comment

I think it is Find My Past.

Comment

Well Jeanie it's nice to know our missing people are there somewhere, now we all need to work out what name to search under. lol
                          Kit

Comment

My Grandfather is very clearly written on the 1891 census as Henry P Swindells, with correct address and occupation and as on his own in the house, but Ancestry have him with another person's surname (Henry P Normanton) and a new wife (Annie)! Can't believe how I ever found him as his family are all away visiting relatives.

Comment

I echo the point about not giving up. I have been trying to find my great great grandmother for a while. I thought it was probable that she remarried. But who to? By a process of elimination and chasing various combinations through the census returns I found her. Annoyingly, she was right under my nose. My great grandmother was living with her as a visitor, but because she had remarried I didn't recognise the names!!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Widow
                                I know this may sound silly but what is FMP?
                                Originally posted by Trina View Post
                                I think it is Find My Past.
                                It is 'Findmypast' which is a pay per view site that holds census records and the like
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                X