in prison in 1881-help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in prison in 1881-help please

Hi all, I have Charles Childs (or William depending on what name he wants to use!) is in prison on the 1881 census, I have tried looking on the old bailey online but do not know where else to try! Can anyone give me any ideas please?
    Tessie

would national archives have anything, I found a relatives m-i-l on there or london gazette -http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ or Times Archive | Online Newspaper Archive of The Times from 1785-1985
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

You need to find his entry in the relevant prison register. These are often at the county records office/archive but sometimes at The National Archives in Kew.

They may have a photo of the person, they will have a physical description and details of the crime, so you can then look in local newspapers for the report of the crime and trial.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

This is a description of the prison in 1848

Chelmsford Prison
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

If it is Chelmsford prison, you may be lucky and find something in here

Seax

There are 351 pages to go through but you can see the images on line
          Jackie

Comment

thanks guys and gals, i will have a look! it was chelmsford (it says HMP and its springfield area), how did you know? anyway thanks again!

Comment

I can't get anything on TNA as I don't know what to do really, tried a general search but nothing! I have looked at The Times Digital Archives but nothing there either. Does anyone know what local office it would be for Chelmsford, I was going to email and ask if they hold the records and if not it will be put on my wish list, if I ever get to Kew!
              Thanks again
              Tessie

Comment

Chelmsford comes under Essex Records Office. I've just had a look at the link I put up last night and it doesn't seem to be working so I'll try ageain.

Seax - Search Seax

Put Chelmsford prison in the search box and (these are the dates I put) 1871 to 1885 in the dates boxes. One of the results you should get will be "Calendars of prisoners for Essex Quarter Sessions etc" January 1870 to February 1882. If you click on that you will get the option to view the register on line
                Jackie

Comment

I have one in prison too and apparently I need to go to the record office nearest the jail to get details.
                  Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Have you tried this site Tessie.

United Kingdom Blacksheep Ancestors
                    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

thanks night owl, but alas he is not there!

Comment

nothing either on black sheep either, never mind! Thanks for the idea!
                        Tessie

Comment

an idea for you if you know where the records are

look in wilki and see if anyone here goes to the record office

i did for wandsworth and i found who joan goes to LMA and has found loads of stuff for me the discriotion are amazing

i cant thanks her and this site enough
                          wye surrey/london/birmingham
                          lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                          hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                          ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                          herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                          armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                          X