John Lawson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Lawson

I'm looking for John Lawson born c1864 in Sunderland Co Durham. He married Mary Elizabeth Holmes in 1885 and up to 1893ish had 3 children. The next census 1901 shows he has disappeared but his wife has had another 3 children all with the middle name of Rennie. I'm pretty sure she married a Charles Rennie in 1902 but I would like to know what happened to John.

If anyone has access to 1911 census can they look up both Mary Rennie and John Lawson please.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Dave

Dave - 1911 census is exclusively pay per view so I doubt you'll get many takers.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

There is one John Lawson c1864, born Sunderland, listed in 1911. As John says, you will have to pay to find out who is listed with him as there are 87 possibles, which I think is unlikely since he's not in an institution.

Mary seems to be named Rennie, as you said. She is living with (possibly!) Ettey (c1896), Charles (c1898), Fred (c1900), Bella (c1903), Mary E (c1905), Ellen (c1908), Thomasina (c1910). Again, you would have to pay to be sure about the relationships.

On a more positive note, women were meant to show how many children were produced from a current marriage and how long they had been married so that should help you work out if there were any more children and if she did indeed marry Charles in 1902.
      Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by Luba View Post
        I'm looking for John Lawson born c1864 in Sunderland Co Durham. He married Mary Elizabeth Holmes in 1885 and up to 1893ish had 3 children. The next census 1901 shows he has disappeared but his wife has had another 3 children all with the middle name of Rennie. I'm pretty sure she married a Charles Rennie in 1902 but I would like to know what happened to John.

If anyone has access to 1911 census can they look up both Mary Rennie and John Lawson please.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Dave
        You can join the 1911 census site and it's free to search but you'd have to pay for viewing.

Although sometimes you can pretty much work out what you need to know if your search turns something up.

Welcome to the official 1911 Census website

Orangeblossom has turned up some stuff above.

Comment

Lawson

Thank you for this valuable information especially Orange
          Blossom - Mary did marry Charles Rennie in 1902 have the marriage cert. - Was he there when you looked?

Cheers Dave

Comment

Lawson

Orange blossom Where did you find the John Lawson in 1911 from Sunderland - I have looked but it says no results.

I have bought some credits and the Mary Rennie is spot on - her husband Charles is not there - she can't seem to hang onto husbands.

Thanks Dave

Comment

Here's the marriage.

Registrars Marriage Certificates
              You searched for:
              Marriages for the period 1901-1910: Surname = 'lawson' and Forename/Initial = ''.

Surname Forename(s) Year of Marriage
              LAWSON Mary E 1902 Select
              RENNIE Charles 1902 Select

Comment

do you know his mothers name and any siblings (of john)?

Comment

what are the names of the first 3 children?

Comment

John Lawson

These are the names of John's children including the one''s from Charles Rennie

William Born 1886
                    John Robert Born 1890
                    Annie Born 1892
                    Henrietta Rennie Born 1896
                    Charles Bartholomew Rennie Born 1898
                    Frederick Rennie Born 1900

Copy of 1881 census

Living at 41 Eglington Street Monkwearmouth Sunderland

William Lawson Head M Male 52 Darlington, Durham Deputy Overman (Coalmine)
                    Elizth. Lawson Wife M Female 48 Newcastle, Durham
                    William Lawson Son U Male 23 Quarrington Hill, Durham Onsetter Colly (Miner)
                    Robert Lawson Son U Male 20 Sunderland, Durham Putter Colly (Miner)
                    John Lawson Son U Male 17 Sunderland, Durham Driver Colly (Miner)
                    Mary Lawson Daur Female 12 Sunderland, Durham
                    Elizth. Lawson Daur Female 8 Sunderland, Durham
                    George Lawson Son Male 2 Sunderland, Durham

Thanks for the help

Dave

Comment

I am not very good at looking for other peoples rellies, so can only suggest! I have looked for john's death but can't see any that seem to match his d.o.b, maybe someone else or you can? do you think he could of remarried?

Comment

Dave, this is what the transcriptions says:
                        HOUSEHOLD LAWSON JOHN M 1861 50 Sunderland Durham
                        I found it by simply putting in John Lawson, 1864 +/-3, born Sunderland.
                        Tracy

Comment

going on other census' there seem to be quite a few john lawson's from durham so I think this might be quite a difficult search, hopefully some of the more experienced researchers will see your post and help you more than I can.

Comment

John Lawson

Thanks for your help

I have searched every possible avenue for this fella but ended up with a dead end - His wife definitely married again in 1902 but has spinster as her status.

She has put formerly Lawson as her former name.

This is my wife's family and all the time she thought John lawson was her Great Grandfather - but her grandfather and mother both had Rennie as the middle name. She and I can never remember her mother mentioning any of this.

I have traced some of the Rennie (Renney as it was written) family and it seems the male side originated from Ireland.

Don't know whether there is any access to divorce records of the time but at that point in time it was very difficult to gain a divorce for the poorer classses.

Still one mystery solved about Mary Rennie but opened up another - where was Charles Rennie in 1911 - I think she had another son called Robert Rennie in 1911/12 as her maiden name Holmes is there. There was a man called Charles Rennie died in WWI from Sunderland but he would have been nearly 50 years old at the time.

Someone suggested he might have emigrated - could be so.

I'm just curious as to what happened to him.

Thanks again for your help - much appreciated

Dave

PS

I suppose that's what makes this so interesting but frustrating at the same time.

Comment

Dave, how old was Charles on the marriage cert?

The National Archives has divorces listed in Series J77. There isn't one for John and Mary though.
                              Last edited by Orangeblossom; 29-05-09, 12:29.
                              Tracy

Comment

Hi

Charles Rennie was 35 years old when he married Mary Elizabeth Lawson she was 33.

He Lived at 4 Dock Street Monkwearmouth Sunderland - his father was Robert Rennie.

Thanks Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X