Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone date these photos please

Hi

could anyone date these photos please. The man was born in 1862 and the woman in 1874. Im guessing that the female one was around the 1890's but not sure about the man

many thanks
    Attached Files
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

The photograph of James would be sometime after 1891/92 as he is wearing the Khedive's Star (far right) and what looks like the Egypt Medal with four clasps (2nd from left) which was awarded for the Egypt Campaign of 1882 -1889.

don

Comment

Having looked up the medal I agree with Don, super photos, but what is the on the ladies busom?

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
        Having looked up the medal I agree with Don, super photos, but what is the on the ladies busom?

How odd ~ a levitating bunch of flowers
        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Yes, she seems to have a substantial bunch of flowers pinned to her chest...I wonder who gave them to her......

Comment

Many thanks for your help. You are right about the medals, he was awarded the Egypt medal and the Khedives star. Not sure about the others though as i cant find any other medal details.

Im not sure about the flowers. Harriett (as she was at birth) married in 1893, had a child in 1894 and then scarpered c1895 either with James or meeting him along the way. She is then known as Florence. She looks very young to me, perhaps late teens? Im also wondering how often photos were taken in those days as her father was a maltster who died in 1892 of exhaustion so i cant imagine he would have had any money
            Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Robyne, photographs were taken for special occasions, I am guessing at this 21st birthday as 18ths were not considered as important, it was 21 when you came of age. I think if it was her wedding she would have been showing her hand to display the ring...;)

Comment

and p.s. I can't spell, it's bosom not busom, .............

Comment

i wonder if the rope on his uniform is to represent something and her one round her kneck?brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                  X