Find My Past corrections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past corrections

I've been having fun in Find My Past census looking up various family lines. It is like a treasure hunt because they never transcibed the name the same way. And it was not til 1901 that the spelling was correct. So I've started to request corrections. Practically every one has been accepted. Toe became Zoe. The various wrong spellings of Le Bouvier are being corrected. Smyrna is now in Turkey. But the one they rejected was my request to change HattCook to Hatt Cook. There are clearly two capital letters H and C. And I've never heard of a prefix Hatt. There is Le and Van and Mc and Mac but Hatt???? So when researching that line I must remember that the middle name is now part of the last name.
    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Gosh, you must be very persistant with all those mistranscriptions going against you. I've had one or two but nothing like as many as you. Good luck.

'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' Bertrand Russel.

Comment

FreeBMD often index double-barrelled names twice, with the last name and middle name.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

And local bmd sites list names in all possible variations - we recently found, on another thread, one marriage indexed EIGHT times on Lancsbmd because of doubt in the transcriber's mind as to what the correct spelling really was! Four variations for the bride and four for the groom....

OC

Comment

Uncle John, FreeBMD just index the names in the same way that they are indexed by the GRO, or at least that's how it's supposed to work - so FreeBMD's index will only list it under two different surnames if it is listed under both on the GRO index itself.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
          X