Need help finding a marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help finding a marriage

I gave the GRO a ring this afternoon as I hadn't received a copy marriage certificate I'd ordered on the 17th, I was told I'd got the wrong bride name, therefore I was getting partial refund.

The reference I gave was 1840 Q3 4 451 THIS IS WRONG

What I need is for reference of the marriage between Amelia Atherton and Robert Thom(p)son but can only find the marriage under Pallots (which I can't read). I have the birth certificate for their eldest child William who was born in St Pancras 1839, therefore I would guess the marriage would probably be 1838. I want to be doubly sure that Peter Thom(p)son was Robert's father, as his certificate when he married his second wife Eliza indicated. MTIA

This appears to be the wrong one!

Marriages Sep 1840
    ABRAHAM John
    Buck Catherine
    STEPHENS Sophia Ann
    THOMSON Robert
    St. Olaves 4 451
    Elaine

Comment

Date looks like 1833 to me on the Pallots entry

Amelia Atherton, Spinster & Thompson, Robert, Bachelor. St Botolphs, Bishopsgate 1833

Comment

The Pallots marriage entry gives date of marriage as 1833 at St Botolph Without Bishopsgate - so there wont be a marriage certificate - you will need to look at the parish registers.
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          This appears to be the wrong one!

Marriages Sep 1840
          ABRAHAM John
          Buck Catherine
          STEPHENS Sophia Ann
          THOMSON Robert
          St. Olaves 4 451
          Yes it is, I need help finding the right one please

Comment

From the IGI

AMELIA ATHERTON / ROBERT THOMSON
            Marriage: 05 SEP 1833 Saint Botolph Bishopsgate, London
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              The Pallots marriage entry gives date of marriage as 1833 at St Botolph Without Bishopsgate - so there wont be a marriage certificate - you will need to look at the parish registers.
              A trip to Kew?

Comment

Will be at L.M.A Lorraine. London Met Archives.

Edit: Scrub that. Bishopsgate is counted as part of London City, their registers are deposited there at London Guildhall.

Last edited by Richard; 26-05-09, 17:41.

Comment

Probably the LMA.
                  Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the help, but I clicked on the link and haven't been able to go anywhere with the info. What do I need to do?

Is there any possibility that the marriage on ancestry Apr/MayJun 1840 is them, but it took nearly seven years for the records to become official. It does say Amelia Margaret Atherton and ?

Comment

Hello Lorraine. You would need to visit the Guildhall in London to view the original entry in the parish register for the 1833 marriage of Amelia Atherton and Robert Thompson.

The 1840 marriage would not be theirs. These are the other people on the page, and no Thompson.

Mary Ann Allen 1840 Pancras (1837-1901) London, Middlesex
                      Amelia Margaret Atherton 1840 Pancras (1837-1901) London, Middlesex
                      Martha Fuller 1840 Pancras (1837-1901) London, Middlesex
                      Dinah Wright 1840 Pancras (1837-1901) London, Middlesex

James Gale 1840 Pancras (1837-1901) London, Middlesex
                      William Latta 1840 Pancras (1837-1901) London, Middlesex
                      William Mobbs 1840 Pancras (1837-1901) London, Middlesex
                      William Shoobridge 1840 Pancras (1837-1901) London, Middlesex
                      William Street 1840 Pancras (1837-1901) London, Middlesex

Comment

The 1840 marriage for Amelia Margaret Atherton is to one of these:

James Gale
                        William Latta
                        William Mobbs
                        William Shoobridge
                        William Street

- not to Robert Thompson!

Saint Botolph Bishopsgate parish records are at the LMA
                        Records and archives
                        Elaine

Comment

I think they are at the Guildhall Elaine, at least the original registers are according to the East of London Family History Society. I had a look through London Generations database on LMA to see if they also carried copies of these registers on fiche, but could not find them if they do.

Comment

Yes, apologies for that - was just checking the LMA database and cannot see anything there!
                            Elaine

Comment

LMA was my first thoughts too, as Bishopsgate is outside the city walls..but apparantly nevertheless it is still technically within the city, so records are kept at Guildhall. Usefull to know as I have a few marriages there myself.

Comment

Definitely the Guildhall. Good luck, Lorraine!

My Pond/Bond family came from the area and were christened at St Botolph's.

The Guildhall is a great library/record office to visit - much more user-friendly than the LMA. I had a great day there before Christmas.
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:
                                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Lorraine, if you go there or another member does a look-up, you could also find her baptism:

Amelia Margaret Atherton
                                  chr. 5 August 1810 St Botolph Bishopsgate

Parents:
                                  John and Jane

(IGI extracted)
                                  Elizabeth
                                  Research Interests:
                                  England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                  Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

John Atherton
                                    married
                                    Jane Upton
                                    16 April 1809 St Botolph Bishopsgate
                                    Elizabeth
                                    Research Interests:

Comment

This may be a waste of time as his father's name will not be on the document. Even if his name is there as a witness, it may not be his father. You may glean some info. from the witnesses named.
                                      Glen

Comment

Have to agree if you've not seen a pre 1837 parish register marriage entry before, you may be a bit dissapointed. Here is an example of one from St Botolphs 1836, so you know what to expect:

You'll get witnesses, whether they were both resident in parish at time, but rarely an awful lot much else.

Comment

Working...
                                        X