Irish Cemetery puzzle - with a twist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Cemetery puzzle - with a twist

Hi all. I have a photo with a notation on the back - Great Gmother's gravesite, Belfast - that shows a beautiful picture of the flowers laid on her grave BEFORE her headstone was in place. How do I find out a) which cemetary and b) which great grandmother? There are no dates on the photo.

Luckily, I have half a clue as to the cemetary - some one else's headstone is in the picture. I think if I can figure out when and where this other person was buried, I might be able to trace my relative.

Another clue - it also says 'Dundonald' on the back of the photo. Is that in or around Belfast?

Comment

Yes. From the Wikipedia.

Dundonald (from the Irish: Dún Dónaill meaning "Dónall's fort") is a town in County Down, Northern Ireland. It lies in the outer suburbs of east Belfast, within the district of Castlereagh.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I've got a book of gravestones inscriptions for one of the Belfast cemeteries if you can tell me what the name is on the other stone (I can't make it out) I'll have a look for you.

Teresa

Comment

Here is some information about Dundonald Cemetery, opened in 1905: Belfast City Council. Cemeteries. Dundonald Cemetery.
          Sarah

Comment

Thank you ladies.

Just spent time digging out the original photo with the hopes that it would be a bit clearer than this scan. And it is - with the aid of a maginifying glass.

Teresa, her name is Lizzie Neill and it looks like she died in January 1913. Her dad William died in 1888 and was interred in Knock[?] Cemetary and her mother Eliza was interred in Holytown Cemetary.

Does that help?

Comment

The bottom two look like William Neill and Eliza Neill, my guess at the top one is Lizzie

Comment

Hi the book I have is for Shankhill, she isn't listed in there but thats not to say she isn't buried there as the book tends to have gravestones before 1900.

Teresa

Comment

Thanks for looking Teresa.

I'm going to check the link Cloggie provided and see if they can help further.

Many thanks to everyone.

Comment

Margaret do you know if she was catholic or protestant? If a catholic she might be interred in the old Falls road cemetery, but not say in Shankill.....

Comment

Just been googling, is it definitely Dundonald, and not Dundela? cos Knock burial ground is a very old burial ground in Belfast and it seems there was a chapel there called Dundela.

Comment

Hi Barbara. Fairly sure they are Protestant. The notation on the back of the photo said Dundonald. Lizzie's dad died in 1888, so he managed to make it into Knock, and since she didn't die until 1913, she got the 'new' place of Dundonald (my guess!!)

Comment

Sounds fair to me Margaret..........:D

Comment

Just phoned the cemetary to see if they could check their records for me - unfortunately, unless I have a name and date (even approximate) they are unable to help - it's just the way their records are set up. I guess my only two options now are: find someone in the area who would like to go on a field trip, or wait until the Belfast Council gets around to that cemetary in their "Memorial Safety Programme" in the hopes that they record the names on the stones on a computer somewhere!!!

Comment

Maybe somebody on the Belfast Forum could help you?
                              Genealogy - Belfast Forum
                              Sarah

Comment

Some info on Dundonald churches here: Dundonald All
                                With regard to St Elizabeth's - Church of Ireland, it says: "...graveyard attached ,gravestone inscriptions UHF Vol 2 ; email me for a gravestone look-up"

You could also try the surnames section on the site and see if anything turns up.
                                Last edited by Cloggie; 26-05-09, 15:03.
                                Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah. I will put a request on the forum. Had a quick look at the surname site, but couldn't see any of the names that I know.

Comment

Just to let you know - I put a request on the Belfast Forum and a kind gent answered within 10 minutes that he would check for me.

It turned out not to be the family that lived in and around the area for ages, but the family that moved from Newry around 1911. But I did find out who one of the daughters married, and that Ggrandmother's husband was still alive for the 1911 census - now I just have to find him!!!

Comment

Well that's good, sort of... Good luck with your search......

Comment

Working...
                                      X