No announcement yet.

Has anyone forgotten family info until?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone forgotten family info until?

Hi
    I've just been looking on the 1911 census for my Dads family just to check there were no surprises and I have all the details for his siblings. Guess what found a brother I did not know my Dad had. But then my memory started to kick in and I remembered a story my mum told me about a boy called William (name of the brother) being killed age 8 due to an accident with a horse and cart that was delivering milk. I dont ever recall my Dad talking about the death of a older brother though!

Has anyone ever lost information and then remembered it as something or someone has jolted your memory and then you started to doubt your memory?

I surpose I am going to have to look into it to see if I dreamt it all!!!
    GWEN

My dad completly forgot to mention his aunt existed until i came across her, he then went on to tell me her nickname, how many children she had and when she left the area and headed north! Better late than never i suppose....

Comment

My mum had a brother that I never knew about - hwe was never talked about - he was older than mum and only lived a few hours.

I found it in birth regs, and mentioned it - Dad didnt realise I didnt know
      Jess

Comment

Nobody bothered to tell me I had an older half brother. I only found out when I bought my father's death cert.

Comment

im always finding out about things and asking my grandma about 'em. she always knows once the memory is jogged, same with gran. i'll make a fantastic discovery and rush off to tell her, and she'll have forgotten she already knew it!!

Comment

I struggled for ages to find my Grandfather's death certificate in what I thought would be the "right" area. Eventually I asked Mum if it was likely that he'd been on holiday in Hastings when he died she said, yes of course he was, as if I should have known that! I can't remember how many times we'd talked about this before then!
            Sue

Comment

I am glad it's not just my family that assume you know or dont want you to know. My regret is my Dad is not here to ask! I am going to try and find out about William I an intrigued but also to confirm my memory is not playing tricks with me.
              GWEN

Comment

Good luck Gwen, there would surely be a local newspaper article about the accident.

Comment

Among my father's papers was an old letter written in 1911 when my father was 7 from my gt aunt to my grandmother. It said my father, who was on holiday with her, loves playing with little Jessie. I always presumed it meant my Gt Aunt Jessie. When the 1911 Census came out I was saddened to see my father, who I had always thought was an only child, did have a sister Jessie who died before she reached her first birthday. Now I know why he kept that letter for so many years - and I will keep it too.

Comment

I spent ages quizzing my mother about who her aunts (who had common names) had married and she simply couldn't remember. So I got their mother's will, on which they were named, along with one of the husbands who turned out to be an adminsitrator. When I told her she announced 'you needn't have spent your money, I could have told you that'. Grrrrr!
                    CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Working...
                    X