Anyone up for a search?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up for a search?

Hi all, elaine has been very helpful on a previous thread of mine and also jill who has lookd on her berkshire records for me.
    However, I am still very stuck!
    I cannot find a death for George Cox, the only one we have is in Waltham St Lawrence which is about 50 miles from where the family have lived for all their lives in Faringdon/Wantage/Challow/Wallingford, do you think this is possible? I know the only way to find out for sure is to get the death cert!
    Also, we believe he was married to a lady called Eliza/Elizabeth Crook. Although we can find no marriage for them. In the 1911 it says they have been married for 20 yrs. The first two children are in the name of Crook in 1891. The youngest, Gertrude is in the local workhouse with her mum and the eldest Violet is with grandfather in 1891. Eliza would of been 24 in 1891 so I was thinking maybe she was married before marrying George, but I can't see a marriage for any Eliza Crook to anyone else that would fit!
    As we don't know anything more about Eliza I can't find her death either!
    Does anyone have any ideas? Sorry its so long winded but couldn't word it any other way!
    Many thanks
    Tessie

Tessie, did you get the birth certificate for George b 1898 to see if the mother was in fact Eliza Crook?
    Elaine

Comment

no i am still waiting! Do you think this is the key?

Comment

Well, it might be the key but it should at least give some indication if you are on the right track with Eliza Crook.
        If it is Eliza, and she had been married before, then it should have her previous married name plus her maiden name, for example Eliza Cox, late xxxxx, formerly Crook.
        Elaine

Comment

hi how old was george in 1911 and where were they living please? sorry dont have ancestry
          Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

george would of been about 50ish, they were living in faringdon.

Comment

thats what I thought Elaine! They may never have married I suppose! Were there any wars that any of my lot might of been in? And also I cannot find Gertrude or Ernest in 1911, I suppose she could be married as she would be 20 by then! I have Violet Crook and Edith Cox (sisters) in 1911 as boarders in the same household in Hampstead, Violet is a dressmaker, but nothing for Edith! What about the death of George, do you think this is likely?

Comment

Is this your Ernest?

Births Sep 1900
                Cox Ernest Thomas
                Wallingford 2c 316

Deaths Mar 1902
                COX Ernest Thomas age 1
                Wallingford 2c 225
                Elaine

Comment

Can't see anything for Gertrude Matilda at the moment - but when you are searching for a marriage or death remember that we think she was actually born as a Crook not a Cox!
                  Elaine

Comment

was just looking at deaths for ernest and gertrude! thanks for that one elaine!

Comment

yeah I have been trying both names!

Comment

just had a look on free bmd for a death for elizabeth cox,there is one there for 1915 Abingdon which isn't very far from Faringdon! Off to look on ancestry!

Comment

3 years out from the d.o.b though!

Comment

How accurate was her age throughout the census?
                            Did she add on or take a few years off anywhere!
                            Remember, the age at death is only as accurate as the the informant gives - could easily be a year or two out.
                            Were there any other females with the same name/age in the area - could the death apply to them?
                            Elaine

Comment

will have a look!! do i need to look at census for this please?
                              have found a violet. A violet m crook marrying an alexander jakov gievich in 1917 pancras, but no chidren on free bmd with that name so cannot cross check uness i get marr. cert!

Comment

We found some census refs for Eliza Cox (??? maiden name Crook) when we looked originally. Might be worth checking back on those to see how accurate she was with her age! Not sure if we found her birth registration as well.
                                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
                                  have found a violet. A violet m crook marrying an alexander jakov gievich in 1917 pancras, but no chidren on free bmd with that name so cannot cross check uness i get marr. cert!
                                  If you search on Ancestry for births with surname of Jakevliovich and mother's maiden name Crook - there seem to be 3 children.
                                  England & Wales, Birth Index: 1916-2005 - Ancestry.co.uk
                                  Elaine

Comment

none that i can see! just going to have a look at census for her now to look at her age

Comment

well thats a different spelling but with the mmn that looks good, just looking at where they were born!

Comment

Problem is, without the marriage certificate impossible to tell if it is your Violet!
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X