Regiment confirmation please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regiment confirmation please

Can someone please tell me if this is right.

As i read this, my great uncle was joining the The 18th Batallion (of possibly the) Kings royal rifles, (the letters fit). The problem I have is that from what I've seen, this was not formed until June 1915, so have I got it wrong? Is this a completly different corps?

Incidently, he was living in Rotherham, Yorkshire at this time and was signing at Pontefract. But I understand this was a K.O.Y.L.I. base. Have I got this all wrong?
    Last edited by jozy; 24-05-09, 10:47.

Jozy

I agree with you it looks like the Kings Royal Rifles (K.R.R)
    I found this site with some info about the Kings Royal Rifle Corps 1916-1918 don't know if it helps.
    Margaret

Comment

Here's another site which gives a good history http://www.regimental-art.com/kings_royal_rifles.htm
      It looks like they were in existence well before 1915.
      Margaret

Comment

I've a feeling it says 13th (S) Bn but is smudged. If you look at the next page on Ancestry - Ancestry.co.uk it looks like 13
        Jackie

Comment

Ooh! So it does Jackie. Why is it that everything I think I understand gets changed about and ends up being different to my thoughts. That means another line to check out.

Margaret, I will have a good look at the sites you've suggested, they seem quite interesting. You never know I may actually learn something useful.

Many thanks both of you.

Jozy

Comment

The (S) stands for Service Battalion, i.e one of the New Army Battalions formed for the war. The 13th was formed in in October 1914 as part of K3, Lord Kitcheners Third Army. They went out to France at the end of July 1915. The 18th your right was not formed until June 1915 and was an 'Arts and Crafts' battalion, whatever that means. They went to France in May 1916, then Italy in 1917, and back again to France in 1918.

Comment

Arts and Crafts Bn ??

Hi Richard and all.
              Google gives Arts and Crafts Bn. also an interesting link is

The King's Royal Rifle Corps in 1914-1918

Best wishes to all

Raphael
              Uk & Düsseldorf D.

Comment

Many thanks for the input, Richard & Raphael. The (S) was puzzling me, but it's amazing how obvious it can be when someone points it out. Makes more sense now.

I just need to work out where William Alfred, (Williams father, my great grand father) was for the 18 years between the birth of my grandfather in September 1897 in Wandsworth and his reappearence in Yorkshire in 1915 at the home address which William shows on his papers. He's eluded me for several years now, not appearing anywhere that I can find on the 1901 census and understandably now not showing on the death indexes between 1896 and 1920. So do I wait for the 1911 to hopefully come on line with ancestry or take the plunge and view it on FMP?

thanks again to all.

Jozy

Comment

Working...
                X