John Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Monday

Hello. I am onto OH family tree and have come up to a brick wall. I know all about John Monday from his birth in Ashburton Devon in 1786 to his death in Plymouth in 1867. He died which the rank of Vice-Admiral so he was easy to trace. John must have married about 1817 his wife's first name was Sarah we think. He had 3 daughters Olivia Sarah c 1818, Sarah c 1820 and Fanny Ribouleau c1829.As I have said I know all about him, but his wife's Surname. Can you please help.
    Sheila :o
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Do you know where the first child was born???? Chances are he married around that area. I'd try here........Plymouth City Council - Archives and records

They had the records of my ggg grandparents marriage in 1814 and their childrens' baptisms and burials.

I got about 8 pages posted to Brisbane for about 4 pounds, so well worth it.

Where did you find the info you have???

Oooohhh if he was an admiral, have you tried google books???

Comment

Hello Libby how's the weather with you ?? I hope all is well No I did not Google but I'll try. I'll try the link to see where that leads. Most of the information was from OH family, most of the men were Customs men , with 2 or 3 Master Mariners thrown in
      Ta again
      Sheila

Comment

Well..............the weather..............Today was gusty and the odd shower, but we've had over 300mm of rain since Monday..used to get that overnight in Innisfail but it drained better there......lol

We haven't had any damage, but the city is still a mess.

Comment

Certainly the name Ribouleau is featured as a Capt and Rear Admiral in Plymouth, but so far no Monday/Mondey/Mundey etc

Comment

The 1851 has John, Sarah, Sarah and Fanny R Monday.

John is a Capt Navy.

Haven't found Olivia but Fanny never married as her death is in 1892.

Comment

1861 has Fanny and Olivia still at home with parents unmarried. john is a retired rear admiral.

Comment

Fanny and Olivia are still together unmarried in 1881.

Comment

Olivia died 1887.

Comment

1841 has John and Sarah with..

Olivia age 20
                    Sarah age 20
                    Fanny age 12

Olivia and Sarah could be twins ...or...as it's 1841 they have rounded the ages.

Son NEEDS computer for a bit. I'll be back as soon as I can get rid of him.

Comment

Hi Libby. Yes you are right about the family. Sorry I have not been back to answer. Tomorrow a visitor from overseas arrives for " 41 " days. It sound bad, but never mind. I'll now try Google Books I do have 10 mins to myself Wish me luck. I nearly always get lost on these sites . Glad about your weather
                      Sheila

Comment

I did quite a lot of research for a friend with lots of high ranking naval chaps in her family (lots of juicy scandals too, which made it interesting). There was a great deal of information I found in the newspapers, when we still had access to the Gale sites. Can you access the Times from your library?

Beverley

Comment

Would you like an image of John Monday's tomb?

Originally posted by Sheila from Down Under View Post
                          Hello. I am onto OH family tree and have come up to a brick wall. I know all about John Monday from his birth in Ashburton Devon in 1786 to his death in Plymouth in 1867. He died which the rank of Vice-Admiral so he was easy to trace. John must have married about 1817 his wife's first name was Sarah we think. He had 3 daughters Olivia Sarah c 1818, Sarah c 1820 and Fanny Ribouleau c1829.As I have said I know all about him, but his wife's Surname. Can you please help.
                          Sheila :o
                          I have an photo of John Monday's tomb I can post if you like. It lists his wife and daughters.

Comment

Hi,

I live in Plymouth UK and I often wander in Ford Cemetery. I have seen the tomb of John Monday and wife and daughters and have a good photo of it if you would like to have it. In the 1830’s he lived on Cobourg Street in Plymouth. This is a part of the city that is now occupied by the University. The street was badly damaged during WW2 and the post war city planners did even more damage than the Germans did and so none of Cobourg Street exists any more. Some of the other houses he lived in around Plymouth still exist and can be found if you walk the streets on Google. I am not sure how to send the image to you but let me know if you would like it. Clive

Comment

Welcome to FTF, Clive.

That offer of yours will be much appreciated, I'm sure.

Sheila, whose thread this is, doesn't seem to have been on the site since April. It might be worth sending a PM (if you click on her name in the left of one of her posts, one of the drop-down list is an envelope-icon, which links straight to the PM facility. There's a higher probability that it will get picked up by her email, and then she'll know it's worth a visit!

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It also crosses my mind that it might be worth you having a look in the Community area of FTF. There are FTF meets from time to time, and I know that there's a group that lives in the South West.

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I left a message as you suggested. I haven't seen a reply yet but I expect the message will be picked up sometime.

Thank you for the advice.

Clive

Comment

Hello Clive ,I have sent you a pm sorry it has take almost 1 year to reply, how very remiss of me
                                    Sheila

Comment

Working...
                                    X