Looking for Aussie relative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Aussie relative

I was wondering if any kind person would look on an Austalian Directory or maybe deaths in the last ten years.

I'm trying to find out if an aunt of mine is still alive; she would be the last relative in my mum's family.

Her name is Edna Quayle and she would be around 84 if she's still alive. She lived in Queensland NSW last I heard but we lost touch after my mum died.

Thanks
    Jean
    Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Hi Jean,
    A bit of confusion with where your aunt lived! It was either Nsw or Queensland. They are two different states. do you have a Town or City name? I will try to help.
    Ann

Comment

Is QUAYLE her maiden name or married name ? When did your mum die, so we can have a time frame ? Can you give an idea of where she lived, Queensland and NSW are separate states, each with separate records.

The best (only) place to look for recent deaths would be the Ryerson Index of Newspaper Notices. Queensland only publishes death indexes up to 1929, but cemetery indexes for Brisbane are available on line. NSW publishes death indexes up to 1978, but again some cemtery indexes are available.

Australian Electoral Rolls are available at their office and are easy to search, but you ave to go in person, and sometimes older people who live in nursing homes or are otherwise incapable of voting are not registered.

Di in Sydney
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hi Jean,

If you look here whitepages.com.au - Search for an Australian Business, Government or Person there are four Quayle's with the initial E under NSW - loads of other Quayles as well - and several in Queensland as well although none with an E. Those are the living ones - Ann will probably look for others.
        Marion
        There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Sorry Ann .... of course .... think I'm going loopy ... it was NSW, I was thinking of a friend that lived in Queensland. I've been trying to find her last letter to get the address.

Yes Di ..Quayle was her married name.... and I seem to remember she lived in Sydney. My mum died in 1991 but we had christmas cards for a while after that.

Thanks Marion I'll have a look at that site because my uncle (her husband) had a brother over there as well.

My cousin was just remarking how we hadn't heard anything from her for a while and no reply to our cards. Her son said he would let us know in England if anything happened to her but we might have slipped his mind and now we've lost touch.
          thanks very much all for your replies

Jean
          Last edited by Jean and Tonic; 24-05-09, 05:40.

Comment

Still looking!
            Found two E. Quayle's in NSW, but not in the Sydney area
            Ann

Comment

Thankyou for looking Ann ..... were the two 'Es' you found for deaths or living people?

I have a feeling she may have died and the family have forgotten to let us know. Her son was A Quayle .. I found an 'A' living in Chatswood from the site that Marion mentioned, I'm wondering if this could be my cousin. As it's Whitepages, I'm assuming it's telephone and the numbers at the side are telephone numbers.
              I might pluck up courage and give it a ring.

Jean

Comment

Jean...the numbers are telephone numbers.

I'm presuming you are looking at Chatswood in NSW. If so, the area code for NSW is 02 You have to add the code for Australia before that.

Good Luck.

Comment

thanks so much Harrys mum, that saves me having to sort round looking for codes .... now I just have to pluck up the courage to ring.

Thanks again all
                  Jean

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                    Jean...the numbers are telephone numbers.

I'm presuming you are looking at Chatswood in NSW. If so, the area code for NSW is 02 You have to add the code for Australia before that.

Good Luck.
                    Actually you drop the 0 when adding the country code (61 for australia).

Just dial 612 and the number you found.
                    Kit

Comment

Don't be nervous - most people are very good once you explain the situation. I have rung several people in the UK who I thought may have been related - some of them weren't but were happy to suggest others that may help - and some have been related - and that has been a fascinating trip!!
                      So just pick up the phone and go!!!:D Good luck
                      Marion
                      There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Thanks Marion, you've boosted my confidence ....
                        Jean

Comment

Working...
                        X