Please could somebody help me with a missing family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please could somebody help me with a missing family

I think that I may have gone awry with some research regarding the following lady, Mary Howden Hepburn

Robert Innes b. Cupar Scotland 1831 - Engineer in West Derby, Lancashire
    married to
    Mary Howden Hepburn b. 1832

I thought that I had found Mary in 1841 with parents David Hepburn and Frances (HO107 Piece 563 Folio33 Page 17) and her now widowed mother and siblings again in 1851 (HO107 Piece 2189 Folio 437 page50) - dates and area matched, and I couldn't find any other possibility.
    However, when Mary's marriage cert arrived it rather put doubt on these people being her correct family, as she gives her father's name as John and not David and also that he is a Marble Cutter and not a Mariner. The details for husband Robert seem to be correct, but strangely the wedding took place in Kent and Robert said his residence was "this parish". Mary gave her Liverpool address......a long way to go to get married in 1855.

The thing is, if the Mary that I found in 1841 and 51 is incorrect there doesn't seem to be any sign of her anywhere else. I have tried Scotland with no success,

They had 3 children that I know of, James b. 1857 (who later moved to Yorkshire and then Hull and was a Shipping Surveyor for Llloyds) and who married Elizabeth.
    Mary Howden born 1863 in West Derby
    Margaret born 1865 in West Derby

If anyone has chance and time to look, I would be very grateful -
    Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

where were they in 1861- anywhere near where they married?
    Jess

Comment

i wonder if John was her father & david her step father? ( or the other way round!)
      Jess

Comment

That's just it Jess - I cannot find them anywhere at all.

Their son James, was my step sister's grandfather which is how I arrived at them, and their details, through certificates.
        Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

flippin heck - you go for the complicated ones!
          Jess

Comment

just confirm this please

Mother was mary Howden Hepburn
            and she gave her daughter the same middle name as herself?
            Jess

Comment

If David really was her father, he died at sea in about 1848, but for John to be a step father would mean the incredible coincidence of him being a Hepburn as well

Comment

Yes Jess - she did

Sigh........yes, none of mine seem to be straightforward; I really thought that this one was sailing along smoothly until the marriage cert arrived!!

Comment

Originally posted by sally View Post
                  Mary gave her Liverpool address......
                  What address did she give?
                  Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine, it was
                    St. Martin in the Fields,
                    Liverpool
                    Lancashire

Comment

Not having much luck I am afraid Sally.
                      Elaine

Comment

Join my little club Elaine!! Thank you so much for trying though, I appreciate it, and it makes me feel less of an idiot for not finding anything myself

Comment

Oh well, I must turn off shortly and won't be back until Tuesday probably........maybe by then something miraculous will present itself!!! Hmmmm, about as likely as a pink blackbird.

This is so annoying, because Mary's line is closed until I can find something concrete.

Comment

Sally - I think I have found Robert and Mary in 1881 census living in Kirkdale, Liverpool. He is a Marine Engineer aged 50, Mary H aged 47, with children Agnes M, John H, Mary H, Grace C, Robert and Christina.

RG11; Piece: 3675; Folio: 10; Page: 13;

They have been mistranscribed as Jones!

Comment

And in 1871 mistranscribed as Janes!

RG10; Piece: 3827; Folio: 40; Page: 15;

Comment

You'll never guess what they are transcribed as in 1861 .... Turner!

Living: Kirkdale, Liverpool
                                RG9; Piece: 2721; Folio: 36; Page: 15

Robert an Engineer, with wife Mary, son James, daughter Agnes and sister in law Agnes Hepburn (brn Scotland)

Comment

Oh good grief Sabrina........thank you a million times over........I cannot believe that you found them!!! I have only popped on here quickly, and will not be back until tomorrow night, but am so delighted.

Comment

You are welcome Sally - glad I could help!

I have eventually found them on the 1891 Census in Bootle, Lancs, again mistranscribed as 'Janes':

RG12; Piece: 2974; Folio 144; Page 51

Robert a Marine Engineer Chief, wife Mary H, daughter Grace, son Robert, daughter Christina and s-in-l William Jackson

In 1901 Mary is still in Bootle, a widow: correctly indexed under Mary Innes (just for a change!).

Comment

Thank you so much again Sabrina.........you have worked wonders! Having put all the information together, and rechecked the marriage certificate I find that it is definitely the correct cert.........the Scotland census shows Robert's father James as a Weaver, and Robert's brother James was one of the witnesses. The only discrepancy is that wife Mary seems to have plucked a random occupation (marble cutter) for her father John. I am sure that I am right in my research for John - i.e. that he was a Mariner married to Frances, but will have to double check everything now, and will do so tomorrow night. The fact that Robert and Mary married all the way down in Kent raises some questions too.

Comment

Working...
                                      X